Damage To Port Side Tube "Wing"

ErinnDan

Reaction score
Picked up our boat from storage at the marina this weekend, and I noticed the front left wing on the tube was damaged. I brought it to the attention of the marina manager and he agreed it should be replaced by them. What is that piece on the tube called? And is it a big deal for it to be replaced? Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance for the information.

Splash deflector?

Reactions: MrG
Got a pic?

I don't think you're going to be able to replace just the deflector.

That took a pretty mean hit.  The deflectors are pretty tough.  And you just cannot cut out a piece of aluminum and weld on there.  It's going to have to be ordered from the factory and welded on by an expert TIG welder.

Reactions: MrG
The plan was to order a new deflector from Bennington, and replace the damaged one.

Is this not possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you're going to be able to replace just the deflector.
Why not? What should I request be done?

Thanks for the input.

It can be fixed...in my opinion. Just need a really good welder. And if the marina has taken responsibilty, then the "how" of it is not your problem. Just be careful not to take ownership of any part of the solution. There are really good welders lots of places. The old one is welded on. The new one will be welded on. My bet is you won't even be able to see the repair if they do a nice job for you.

I think it'll look like crap. You can't get the old one completely off.

I vote for tube replacement. I wouldn't want someone welding a new one on mine. Good luck

It can be repaired. New tube? No way. That's like asking for a hand transplant because of a hangnail.

I had the port side tube replaced this month ,when some one hit it at the marina last June 

If I damaged it, I'd maybe do the repair, since someone else f'd it up, they can pay to bring it to a preloss condition.

As a welder in previous life, a good welder/metalworker can repair that if you get another deflector. They can remove the old one by "cutting" off around the stitch welds, and cleaning up where the old welds are, re-weld a new one in it's place. I would not wait on a tube replacement as it might take forever and what happens if it does not line up correctly or wrong tube get's shipped. (yes, these are previous post issues). I would not be at all concerned if they have a quality welder available to do the work, and they are covering the bill.

Happened to us!

Didn't notice till we pulled the boat end of season and cleaning. Sure it was a result of the dealer during original launch, had a scissors trailer he DID NOT LOWER (new guy). Heard a wrenching noise but saw nothing, we never owned a pontoon so decided maybe nothing actually happened. Never had a problem during the season. THEN>>> discovered damage exactly like yours end of season.

Dealer took responsibility and had an experienced welder replace the entire fin. Looks good! Getting out of storage hopefully this weekend and will try to take a picture. Not expecting any problems with it since it looked like good work. ONLY issue we forgot about was...original had factory Sharkhide applied and this new fin probably does not have it! Wondering if it'll pose a problem since it's way above the water line?? We'll see!

Dealer "Should " reapply the Sharkhide also .Ask him .

Jack: that's probably true...he thought it (applying Sharkhide) was dumb though in the first place cuz they never had a customer want it before us! Doubt they have it in stock, but...maybe it's worth a call!

Happened to us!

Didn't notice till we pulled the boat end of season and cleaning. Sure it was a result of the dealer during original launch, had a scissors trailer he DID NOT LOWER (new guy). Heard a wrenching noise but saw nothing, we never owned a pontoon so decided maybe nothing actually happened. Never had a problem during the season. THEN>>> discovered damage exactly like yours end of season.

Dealer took responsibility and had an experienced welder replace the entire fin. Looks good! Getting out of storage hopefully this weekend and will try to take a picture. Not expecting any problems with it since it looked like good work. ONLY issue we forgot about was...original had factory Sharkhide applied and this new fin probably does not have it! Wondering if it'll pose a problem since it's way above the water line?? We'll see!
Thanks to everyone who commented. I would love to see a pic of the repair TYJY had done.

Back