Depth, MPH, Water Temp Recomendations?

lp20th

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My 1st post to the forum.
Just purchased a hardly used 2021 Bennington SX swingback. I would like to add something to read depth, mph and water temp as the dashboard does not have any of these features. It has a simple layout with no blank surface to mount a display, so I was thinking maybe something that has a pedastal type of mount. Does anyone have any recommendations. The boat has the underside splash shield so snaking wires from the back of the left pontoon to the dashboard will probably take some effort. Thanks for any information you can share.

Sounds like you're asking about a standard fish finder with a RAM mount. You will need a transducer so snaking wires is not optional.

You can try a fish tape to help with the wiring. You may need longer cables but you won't have to remove the wave shield

You should have the Striker 4 in the middle of your dash. Yes/No? It does all of the above.
1653503597312.png

Last edited:
Here is what my dash looks like.1653503936727.jpeg

I was thinking about the Striker 4 on a pedestal on one of the flat horizontal areas

You can most likely get one with maps also for not a lot more .

My dash is similar to yours on my L series, where Bennington mounted the Striker 4 on the side flat area above the cup holder. It works fine in that location, although I do wish the unit had maps as well for navigation(it doesn't, but does have a breadcrumb trail). I'm thinking of adding a phone mount on the opposite side, since I use the navionics app on my phone for gps.

IMG_1871.JPG

Will the Striker 4 show depth under power? My current depth finder depth cuts out above 15mph. Any suggestions?

Will the Striker 4 show depth under power? My current depth finder depth cuts out above 15mph. Any suggestions?

I think so. I know my kids ask my what the depth is a lot while we are underway and I tell them. I'm usually cruising around 25 mph, or around 3500-4000 rpm since that is a good cruising speed(fast enough to get where we need, comfortable enough for everyone wind-wise, and decent on gas). I think if you are not getting depth readings above 15 mph, then there's an issue with how you have your transducer mounted.

If you get the Striker 4, read up on adding the "Numbers" screen. Pretty easy, but it's not there by default. It's a screen view where you can display the MPH, Temp, Depth, and other metrics in large boxes. Since there's no map and I don't need to use the fish finder, the Numbers display is great as a dashboard while cruising.

Last edited:
I think so. I know my kids ask my what the depth is a lot while we are underway and I tell them. I'm usually cruising around 25 mph, or around 3500-4000 rpm since that is a good cruising speed(fast enough to get where we need, comfortable enough for everyone wind-wise, and decent on gas). I think if you are not getting depth readings above 15 mph, then there's an issue with how you have your transducer mounted.

If you get the Striker 4, read up on adding the "Numbers" screen. Pretty easy, but it's not there by default. It's a screen view where you can display the MPH, Temp, Depth, and other metrics in large boxes. Since there's no map and I don't need to use the fish finder, the Numbers display is great as a dashboard while cruising.

Have you tried the cover for it? https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-1...cphy=9016944&hvtargid=pla-1462978077098&psc=1

I read the online reviews that it doesn't really fit. I had to replace the original (Garmin 151?) because the screen burned out so I'm trying to avoid that.

How about a Simrad GO5, 7, or 9?!?

Try lowering your transducer as shown in the picture. Ours did the same thing until I lowered it a bit. It now works well over 30 mph.

Attachments

• 43DA2E68-8E72-4A32-9614-C99C73A95DED.jpeg
    43DA2E68-8E72-4A32-9614-C99C73A95DED.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 32
If you don’t want to cut your helm to recess the Stryker, you can use one of those Scosche MPTFM magnetic mounts. That’s what I used for my Stryker, and it holds it very well. Much more low profile than the holder that the Stryker came with. Still had to drill a hole for the cable. The magnet part adheres to the dash. I used JB Weld to secure the metal plate to the back of the Stryker.

If you don’t want to cut your helm to recess the Stryker, you can use one of those Scosche MPTFM magnetic mounts. That’s what I used for my Stryker, and it holds it very well. Much more low profile than the holder that the Stryker came with. Still had to drill a hole for the cable. The magnet part adheres to the dash. I used JB Weld to secure the metal plate to the back of the Stryker.
Any chance you can add a couple pictures of your set up? This sounds interesting, and I bet perhaps some great “food for thought” for some members.

Thanks for all the advice. I like the idea of the mounting it on the space I have on the dashboard, just like Markv has. it appears the Striker 4 connectors are on the back of the device so holes would need to be drilled in the dash to allow the two cables to pass through and connect.

I would be interested in the Scosche MPTFM magnetic mounts as well. As an alternate how about something really simple like velcro to hold it flush to the dashboard?

Back