DIY Ramp - Slide out / 10ft. (introduction... it's not mounted yet)

MalibuMike

Reaction score
Hi all- just sharing a project I've been working on (albeit somewhat slowly). Long story short, couldn't really find an under-deck ramp (or doggy ladder) which would suit my needs at a decent price. The ramp I built needs to be long enough so that when my 23SXP is anchored, it can extend from the bow to about 2.5 ft. under water at a relatively low angle (designed at 25 degrees using my CAD system). Weird huh? Well, out 115 lb Golden Retriever needs something he can climb up which isn't too hard. Also, our boat is a Saltwater Edition and we take it to some beaches in Massachusetts (which can be rocky - family house... not as simple as just going to different beach); Also, my toons will not ever come in contact with the rocky shoreline... I'm just not comfortable with doing that to my boat).... Anyway, you are probably wondering how I'm going to extend a 10' ramp out get it under the water 2.5 ft., well, that's where our 4 person Towable Tube will come in... I'm going to support one end extend / float it out and then swim or walk over and drop it 2.5 ft. into the water and let my knucklehead of a dog have at it... (with kids of course).

So this is how I made it. Weight was a serious concern... Final weigh is something like 35 lbs. Oh, did I mention I don't like to spend money? So I used an old 13ft extension ladder I was given, and chopped it to 10' in length. Knowing that the top surface needs to be thin / strong / inexpensive (yeah, I didn't want to spend the cash on more aluminum), I went with expanded polystyrene sheeting. Anyway, knowing this, between the ladder rungs, I chopped up the remaining 3 ft (X2) of ladder to make more supports (two in between each rung).... They were attached with SS multi-grip pop rivets. I then soldered the aluminum with Blue Demon "Triple Play" aluminum brazing rods as backup...

Here's some pics. Mounting is taking a little more planning that I originally thought. I was originally going to mount the other half of the extension ladder under and have this slide out from it.... I think it would just hang down too far; So, going to find some appropriate c-channel Al to mount up and handle this thing....

(please reserve critiques. simply sharing as a friendly member... I know a bunch of you probably have a TIG and the raw stock to really kick some butt fabricating one of these... With that, all respect to you... I mean it. But, I don't and Al is dang expensive where I live. So, please be mindful as a friend. ...Thanks.)

Will update when mounted. Also, will update after first ocean trip... (worried about rattle, etc.).

Attachments

• IMG_0789.jpg
    IMG_0789.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0678.jpg
    IMG_0678.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0788.PNG
    IMG_0788.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
Looks like you are applying some ingenuity to achieve your goal. Nice work so far. I’ll be curious to see the final product in action. Good luck wrapping it up.

Love it! Especially using the ladder. Looking forward to pictures of final install and how it works for ya. Nice job.

Back