Do you cover boat when wet?

big shooter

Reaction score
I cover my boat most days, mostly for birds, but also because I think it will keep the interior nicer in the long run.

But if we are out cruising at night and get back and the seats are damp I don't cover it. I am afraid of mold, even though I know the cover allows air in.

My question is does anybody else worry about this? Or is it designed to be covered wet without issue?

Personally, I do everything I can to only put the cover on when the boat is dry, but obviously sometimes that's just not possible. That said, I haven't had any mold problems as the boat seems to dry out on it's own when covered. However, it probably wouldn't hurt to take a few large towels and quickly wipe the interior down before covering her up for the night.

I will put the cover on wet or dry.

Crawling under my cover on a sunny day is like stepping into a smelting furnace so even if it is wet under there, it most likely wont be in a day or two. Second thought is, water gets in one way or another on mine so I don't stress about making sure it is 100% dry before covering.

Last edited:
I towel dry the seats, particularly between the bench sections, then prop them open to facilitate drying the compartments for any water that might have found its way in. I leave the cover off while we are at the lake house because our dock has a roof; otherwise I would cover it. We cover it when we have to leave. Center pontoon storage area collects some moisture, so I try not to put soft items in there, like vests.

We put the cover on if it's wet or dry. In our old boat we had carpet and still put the cover on regardless. Never had a mildew problem. It'll dry!!!

Back