Does anyone know how to add an amp to the Kicker Headunit?

Beemdub

Reaction score
I am having an issue, today I added a 5 channel amp to power the stock kicker speakers. I have the Kicker KMC1 headunit and I chopped the speaker wires and instead routed the speakers to the new amp. I then did what should be the easiest part and ran RCAs from the kicker HU to the amp..Nothing..Silence, I know the amp works because it also has a PA mic and that works fine, and when you tap the rcas on the rca ports on the amp you can hear the speakers make a little thud. So I'm thinking maybe the preouts on the kicker HU are either not enabled or not working?

Couple options you can do to troubleshoot it:

Check the output voltage on the RCA's with a multimeter.

Plug in a 3.5mm jack to RCA output on your phone and play a song (RadioShack or amazon)

Run the high level output to an adjustable RCA converter.

Does the amp have a high level input? You could always wire the high level output directly into the amp if its got that.

Not sure which 5 channel amp you installed but maybe recheck that your RCA's are going to the speaker input (not sub input) and did you adjust the amp gain to somewhat match the head unit voltage output?

With everything connected you can try a system reset, press and hold the Play/Pause button for 10 seconds, should reset all of your defaults and outputs as well.

Back