Does anyone know if shifting the throttle in forward or reverse with the engine NOT running damage DTS or anything else? (250HP V8 Verado)

L23250HP

Reaction score
Does anyone know if shifting the throttle in forward or reverse with the engine NOT running damage DTS or anything else? (250HP V8 Verado)

I would not think so . But I don't know for sure. You can call Mercury ,920-929-5040. I have called in the past they were very helpful.

It has always been something you were not supposed to do. I can't say if it's the same for every engine, but I wouldn't do it. I believe it's more about the lower unit than the engine.

With common mechanical shift linkage forcing engagement usually does not work unless the engine is rotating the shift dog in the lower unit. Trying to force shift dog engagement places a high load on the linkage. This is why we have heard that we should not try to shift while engine is not running. With electrical actuation (DTS) it is possible to make shifting idiot proof by insuring that the engine is running before shifting. For this reason there it should not be a problem if one inadvertently try’s to shift while the engine is not running.

Back