Does this cover make my rear look big?

prd2hnt

Reaction score
Got my boat back from having a travel cover made. Really happy with it. I used the same guy who made the cover for our first pontoon 10 years ago.

I was unsure of the design at first. I was originally going to have him make it like the mooring cover with cut-outs around the bimini frame and draw strings. 

The bigger challenge was how make so that the draw string would go under the rail around the entire boat. The ski bar made this hard. As you can see we decided to go over the ski bar and motor. Going that high made it easy to decide to just go over the folded bimini. 

I had him put in a flap so I could fuel without having to pull the cover.

Not too heavy. Easy to remove. Took me 10 minutes to put it back on the first time but I figured out I could do it much faster by taking it off back to front. We'll see.

Only towed with it a short distance. The real test will be in 2 weeks when we tow from Omaha to LOTO.

Lots of reinforced points.

I will eventually change the rope to web straps.

Happy guy so far.

Brian

large.1469059277773.jpg.928699b84bf44cf7a9063c7e620317d8.jpg

large.1469059273613.jpg.dc46dc77ad968af177d81342a64fdc25.jpg

large.1469059251576.jpg.c38864e64d50935354c396a9057ba267.jpg

Had a similar cover made, best thing I ever did, covers the whole boat like yours and wraps the rub rail, they have snaps up under the rails do they're not visible unless you look underneath. Mines doing ok as I tie 320 miles each way quite a few times a year. Usually keep it 75mph or below but it's seen a few 80plus moments in traffic!

I like big butts and I can not lie....

My guy said the mooring snaps would not damage the new cover. I hope he is right.

Very nice, what's the material?

I am trying to remember. I"m not at home so I can't check, but I think it is Aqualon. 100% waterproof.

Looks good! Could also be used as a storage cover?!? 

Looks good! Could also be used as a storage cover?!? 

Yup. That's the plan. I would expect to only use the mooring cover at the lake. It will still be easier to put on.

Brian,

That cover is awesome!  I don't think I would go back to the the mooring cover.  That should do the trick.  Very nice!

To answer your question... Yes, yes it does.  For $45 I had some straps made from seat belt material added to my mooring cover and use it for towing, otherwise i would never use it.  I figure ill do that til it starts to shred and the have some thing similar made.

I think the protection trumps any concern about looks. If have to choose, visuals matter more when in use than towing to me.

Looks like you have Sharkhide. If so, I think those ropes or any straps will rub lines into it during trailering so I'd find a way around that if you could.

I think the protection trumps any concern about looks. If have to choose, visuals matter more when in use than towing to me.

Looks like you have Sharkhide. If so, I think those ropes or any straps will rub lines into it during trailering so I'd find a way around that if you could.

Yup. I am concerned about that. Thinking about options.

If your concerned about rubbing the shark hide, see if the guy/gal who made the cover has enough material to wrap it under the rub rail and install snaps. That's how mine was done to keep any rub marks off the toons. /monthly_2016_06/large.image.jpeg.c74f8a19742611af2770ec382e8f1e9e.jpeg

Our trailering cover had snaps under the deck.  Worked great and keep everything dry because the cover wrapped under the deck. 

I wish I had taken a pic of this guy I saw on the highway, this weekend. Had his toon behind him with the mooring cover over it, and doing at least 65MPH. Hope he gets where he's going without damage to the boat or cover. He surely didn't have the nice looking cover in this thread.

The only issue I see with the snaps, is it can be hard to get the cover tight so it's not flapping in the wind. I am going to look at putting something between the ropes and the toons to minimize any rubbing. I will eventually change to straps. Won't happen before the weekend though.

Looking forward to LOTO with the tritoon. We are staying near Bagnell dam (Downing Branch Cove). Any comment/suggestions for that area appreciated.

Brian

The only issue I see with the snaps, is it can be hard to get the cover tight so it's not flapping in the wind. I am going to look at putting something between the ropes and the toons to minimize any rubbing. I will eventually change to straps. Won't happen before the weekend though.

Looking forward to LOTO with the tritoon. We are staying near Bagnell dam (Downing Branch Cove). Any comment/suggestions for that area appreciated.

Brian

What if you just got some of the small diameter pool noodles that you could cut to fit the length you need? Easy replacement when they wore out. Those would roll with the movement of the straps rather than slide on the toon (I would think). 

Last edited by a moderator:
What if you just got some of the small diameter pool noodles that you could cut to fit the length you need? Easy replacement when they wore out. Those would roll with the movement of the straps rather than slide on the toon (I would think). 

That is exactly what I was thinking about. Or maybe the foam tubes used to keep pipe from freezing.

Back