Dual Batteries from Factory

SpartyKen

Reaction score
I have ordered the dual battery option from the factory and I was wondering if both batteries are charging while underway or do I need to switch back and forth between them to keep them charged?

Yes they do both charge when underway I believe, all you have to do is put the switch to 1 + 2. Your options are 1, 2, 1+2, off. If I remember correctly (as long as you chose the dual switch)

Yes, I assumed he meant automatic, which is what the VSR will do for those of us that are lazy and forget to switch it back ;)

One thing about the factory dual battery switch, you can switch from 1 or 2 to 1 +2 while the engine is running, but switching to off while the engine is running would prove to be a very expensive mistake.

If it's switched to "OFF" while the engine is running, it will destroy the alternator. Not good. :wacko:

Ok, perhaps i do not understand, if the switch is wired as a master disconnect in the off position wouldn't that also kill power to the ignition switch, therefore removing voltage to the alternator field windings? Or in other words, just like turning the ignition switch off?

Or, is it like an old magneto system where spark output must be shorted to ground to kill the engine?

Sorry, i am not very familiar with outboard charging systems :huh:

It's an alternator as in a car, no magneto.

Yes, Carl, i understand that, and i also understand that if you remove the load from an alternator it will damage it.

I was just wanting clarification, if the master switch is turned off, would that not kill the engine and at the same time remove the alternator field excitation, resulting in no power being created by the alternator?

Just wanting to be sure.......

I know one way to solve this dilemma, "Hey all you folks with 2013 boat and motors, turn your switch to off while at about 5000 rpms. We wanna see something. " hehe something tells me no one's going to offer.

Ps. Don't listen to me. Just in case. But, "you'd be a whole lot cooler if you did." Dazed and Confused

Yes, Carl, i understand that, and i also understand that if you remove the load from an alternator it will damage it.

I was just wanting clarification, if the master switch is turned off, would that not kill the engine and at the same time remove the alternator field excitation, resulting in no power being created by the alternator?

Just wanting to be sure.......
Alternator Field Disconnect is an optional feature on some switches, but it requires additional wiring to the engine to work. I have not seen this wiring in place in any of the Bennington wiring schematics posted to this forum. I've been looking at the schematics recently, as I have a 2nd battery project coming up and like to look at how Bennington does it. Most likely switching to off with the engine running on an alternator based system without AFD will damage the voltage regulator and/or one or more of the alternator diodes. I've heard that some that did it and then quickly switched back didn't think any harm was done until their battery wore down and wouldn't charge any more. I just provided the warning for the benefit of those that plan to avoid incorporation of an automatic charging relay, and rely on a 1/2/both/off type switch. Probably a bigger deal on I/Os with larger alternators, even so replacing an outboard alternator can be expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response Jim, that's really what i was after. I know that switching to off simply isolates the battery(s) and current from the alt. still feeds the rest of the system.

I guess i just wanted (as you pointed out) the explanation for those who may not use a voltage sensing relay to be aware of the "why not to" aspect of your statement.

Derrick, thanks for the sarcasm and humor that we have all come to expect from you!

Carl, my appologies for trying to 'bait' you into a response, i won't do it again, i must have been feeling a bit ornerey. ( spell ck pls)

All too often advise is given with no explanation of 'why' leaving people wondering.....

If you think that was good, check out the post I just did in rod holders!! Haha you know what they say, If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bull.!!!

It's like my mom used to say, " because I said so". :D

Back