Dual Batteries

Runway04

Reaction score
My last Bennington only needed the one battery, so I'm wondering if it's standard to add a 2nd now for all the accessories or if you all are doing it on your own? The ability to tie them together if the main battery failed would be nice to. Also, are any of you using lithium batteries? Thanks.

Optional. I have 2. Very glad I have a backup. You can run both in parallel if necessary. You have to be running the battery to charge it, only downfall. My understand is: if #1 dies, and you start the engine with #2, #1 will need to be charged by using 1+2, unless you have a modification that some have added aftermarket.

I primarily run on #1, and will switch to #2 every other week or so just to keep it happy. Im not using lithium

I believe I have the same 2 battery and Perko switch set up that Mozekian has, and more or less use it the same way. I like the piece of mind it has given me in past years for boating, drifting, anchoring, and still listening to music and using other electronics.

I believe I have the same 2 battery and Perko switch set up that Mozekian has, and more or less use it the same way. I like the piece of mind it has given me in past years for boating, drifting, anchoring, and still listening to music and using other electronics.
yea, the link I set is the exact same thing but includes an ACR (automatic charge relay). Once it registers the alternator running, it opens and allows voltage IN to both batteries. Once, it no longer sees an incoming charge, it closes and prevents both batteries from being discharged.

It essentially "turns the dial" back and forth for you.

yea, the link I set is the exact same thing but includes an ACR (automatic charge relay). Once it registers the alternator running, it opens and allows voltage IN to both batteries. Once, it no longer sees an incoming charge, it closes and prevents both batteries from being discharged.

It essentially "turns the dial" back and forth for you.
This seems like the ideal setup. I like my Perko switch and dual batteries, but I like how this works a lot more. Very cool setup!!!!

My last Bennington only needed the one battery, so I'm wondering if it's standard to add a 2nd now for all the accessories or if you all are doing it on your own? The ability to tie them together if the main battery failed would be nice to. Also, are any of you using lithium batteries? Thanks.
I am using lithium now. These charge off stock outboard engines. The APP has a warning sound when it gets low. However, when you run lithium you get more usable and start-able power. I'm in the process of installing a lithium 50AH under my helm to help support 3 amps. When you DL the APP, it detects all batteries and you can run as many as you want parallel. My 2-50AH lead acid batts weighed in at about 86lbs. This 100AH batt weighs in at a whopping 29lbs. Don't mind my carbon fiber dust, I made a CF bracket to hold the switch.

IMG_1288.PNGIMG_1286.JPG

I am using lithium now. These charge off stock outboard engines. The APP has a warning sound when it gets low. However, when you run lithium you get more usable and start-able power. I'm in the process of installing a lithium 50AH under my helm to help support 3 amps. When you DL the APP, it detects all batteries and you can run as many as you want parallel. My 2-50AH lead acid batts weighed in at about 86lbs. This 100AH batt weighs in at a whopping 29lbs. Don't mind my carbon fiber dust, I made a CF bracket to hold the switch.

View attachment 30730View attachment 30731
That’s awesome weight savings but I can’t imagine the cost… hahah. I switched my dirtbikes to lithium and it was huge weight savings.
You mention app… how does it connect to battery? Weird question but is battery constantly putting out signal? Ie will it discharge itself over time?

That’s awesome weight savings but I can’t imagine the cost… hahah. I switched my dirtbikes to lithium and it was huge weight savings.
You mention app… how does it connect to battery? Weird question but is battery constantly putting out signal? Ie will it discharge itself over time?

The batts have internal electronics that allow it to take a charge from a non-lithium charger and they connect Bluetooth to your phone. If no Bluetooth connection is detected, it stays off. Lithium's do not suffer Peukert Effect, they charge back up very fast.

I ran a 330 watt Kicker amp into highs and mids without clipping and a clean 880 watts into a L7 12'' Kicker sub for 30 min straight. I lost 30% power according to my app. She started up with the quickness. Coolest part for me personally was the batt gauge hardly moving when the bass hit, unlike lead acid batts making my gauge look like a seismometer gauge in CA. They definitely can deliver the C! NO, they are not cheap, on sale actually it was about $800 for 1-100AH. Well worth it for me on my 115HP 21ft to save the weight and have mo powa!

Battery-capacity_Lead-acid_Vs_Lithium-ion.png

Back