Duck Blind Rescue

mtudb24

Reaction score
All

Although not a pontoon boat, but "Sturm Island" floats on pontoons so its somewhat related.

I think you all know we are avid waterfowl hunters and run a deep water pontoon blind in Saginaw bay of Michigan.  We've been using this blind for about 15+ years.  This past fall / winter we ran into a problem where one of our pontoons took on water.  When we tried to pump it out, we found we weren't making progress and the water in the toon had expanded and blew the weld seam wide open and the one toon went underwater and was setting on the bottom of the canal while tied up to the seawall.

We devised a plan to attach 55 gallon plastic drums the 2" square stock steel frame with rachet straps and hoped to "float it" across the canal and extract it on a empty lot (owned by family) by use of trucks and whatever means necessary to get it to dry land.  The bank was probably a 10 foot incline at 45* plus angle and into sand.  We used all sorts of boards and such as ramps to cut down the toons digging into the bank.

After 2, 3" 30,000k pound straps plus multiple heavy duty chains that broke during the extraction process, the 24' floating island finally gave way and was secured to dry land.  We then cut the toons off and loaded it on a car trailer and took her to the scrap yard.

It was sad to see her go as she was built and designed by my late father who passed away 5 years ago.  He lived and breathed everything about duck and goose hunting.   He studied them, hunted them, was a avid wooden championship duck decoy carver / collector.

As this chapter closes of our duck hunting style, another one is born.  We have bought a 24' 1986 starcraft pontoon boat that we will transform into a mobile duck hunting boat.  Instead of leaving the "Island" out in the bay all season in one place, we will now be mobile and can venture farther offshore in calm weather and closer to shore during the nasty times.

Just thought i'd share with everybody... Pics are in my gallery

Todd

Great story Todd. I'm sure the new chapter and boat will serve your father's memory well  :)

Thank you Tom

I'd like to think he "helped" us with minimal issues and everyone still has all 10 fingers and all 10 toes and it didn't sink in the middle of the canal making a navigational hazard and no vehicles were damaged. Tow straps and chains were gladly sacrificed for a successful mission completed. :)

Good story mtudb, love here stories that honor family connections.  The first bird you take from the new blind, claim it for your fathers memory and enjoy a great dinner with a toast to the old man

Glad you got the blind pulled as well. I'm sure he was helping you guys for sure. Is there anything off the old boat that you can use on the new one that reminds you of him. Was there a "Dads spot" or anything like that?

Link

For sure will be a honor on the first bird taken. I'm gonna let that honor fall to my dads brother (my uncle). I love hunting as much as my father did, but my uncle was his #1 partner. I'd be honored if I can get my uncle to bag the 1st bird from the boat.

Lake - he was a wood shop / metal shop / math teacher in a junior high school. Lots of the parts of the blind, he made in his spare time at the school. I saved a few things like a thermos / duck call / box of shell holder. I am putting one above my bar in the basement and the other 4 will get a bit of TLC, and get re-used on the new boat.

Thanks for all the comments... Great group of friends and family I have here on this forum

Todd

Back