Electric wire protection

Link

Reaction score
Had a friend from NY visit this past weekend. He is a Bennington owner as well. He told me that a his brother on Lake Norman said he heard someone on the lake had his pontoon wires chewed up. The electrician that redid the wiring encased all the wires in some type of a mesh metal cage to prevent a repeat performance. Anyone have any knowledge of this

I’m guessing it was a muskrat. Carl back in the day mentioned something about this and had grates over the holes in the center toon to prevent entry

I had to have grates put over my holes on the center pontoon to help protect against Muskrats. And yes, I’ve seen the metal mesh type hose encasement you’re talking about. I considered having that done too, but took a chance on not doing it. So far so good 7 years in.

Yup I remember good old Carl had his wires chewed up and had it repaired by having a plate added. In our cove the neighbors all got together and hired a contractor to trap about a dozen muskrats and "relocate" them to the state park. We had our wires wrapped with these "slinky" looking protectors.

As a automotive wiring supplier to all major vehicle OEMS and the OTR trucking / Agricultural OEM's, its a real deal with critters eating wiring. There was a class action lawsuit that was thrown out in court due to a "soy" based wire insulation that drew critters under hood of vehicles to chew on wires against Toyota.

The worst experience i had with this "issue" was maybe 4 years ago during Christmas time. I came out one morning and my Christmas lights were "severed" near our sidewalk. I was like WTF? So i repaired the string. Next day it was severed again about 2" from where I repaired it. After about 2 more times this happened and me blaming every teenage kid in our subdivision being some sort of asshole scrooge, I finally put up a trail cam.

Well, lets say I ate crow and silently apologized to every kid in the neighborhood. HAHHAHHA
1687223012375.jpeg

Back