Elliptical's with Lifting Strakes

Chris Z

Reaction score
I like the idea of this discussion area and read with interest the comparisons between SPS and ESP bottom configurations.

I ordered my 2014 2275 GCW with the 32" Elliptical Performance Package. There was a lot of discussion between me and the dealer about the need for that third leg under the boat and we spoke at length about the uses that I had planned. Water sports are low on the list for me however I was interested in a decent turn of speed and some reasonable sea-worthiness in a light chop and heavy boat traffic. The ellipticals with lifting strakes seemed like the solution for me though having made my purchase in the dead of winter there really wasn't a way to go out and sea trial all the different bottom and motor combinations.

After reading a lot of discussion here and looking at the performance numbers of boats we've all been talking about I came to the conclusion that while that third log under the boat adds a lot of nimble handling characteristics, the drag associated with it almost requires at least 50 more horsepower to match the efficiency of a twin log configuration. (talk about shopping after the purchase!)

So with all that said, there are moments right now when I'm still concerned that I made the right selection for my uses. I'm hoping that the lifting strakes will provide enough bow rise to add to the boats ability to soak up the occasional bigger wave or wake without wetting the deck down. And I'm hoping that the strakes won't produce a harsher ride because of the way that they channel water down both sides of the tubes.

So, there you go. My boat is getting it's early prep next week but we won't be able to do the delivery (and run it around a bit) until the ice is off Owasco Lake here in wonderful Central New York.

One question I do have to those of you with this sort of configuration. How controllable is boat trim with the outboard?

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my eliptical toons ! We have never taken a wave over the bow as buoyancy is one of the big pluses with that configuration. Speed with the 150 is quite good at 41 wot by gps, is the best I have seen.Turning is not bad, but of course it is not like one of the triple toon setups. But for the fantastic ride, I can certainly live with it. I have never been disappointed in my choice.

PS. I do have strakes in and out.

Sorry didn't answer your question about trim. Yes you can trim with the motor. As well as any other configuration in my opinion. With the ellipticals it jumps up on plane quite fast, then I trim it up.

Hey, thanks for the info about the ellipticals, ou addressed my questions nicely. And, great color selection. I know that a few around here think in terms of primary colors but not me. Black and charcoal are the ticket. ;-)

Chris

That's quite a performer for the horsepower.

You can see how much the underskinning does to help the smoothness of the boat in waves, and it's so much quieter when riding.

Great video hapehour! I love seeing the underdeck views, it really shows how violent things get under there, and what a benefit underskinning is.

While ours is not as fast, we really like the quieter and smoother ride we got after adding underskin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back