Enviro Fill Bypass

Reaction score
Hello! We have been enjoying our new to us 2018 R23 this summer. Awesome boat! I have a question about the fuel fill. I am using one of these feel pumps on 5 gal cans:

TERA PUMP Next Gen Rain-Proof Gas Fuel Pump with 4.25-ft Long Discharge hose, Battery Electric Siphon Pump with Auto Stop System for Car Trucks Fuel Cells Tractor Generators Snow blower
https://a.co/d/7g70hAC

It works great when I hold the nozzle just so… but if I try to just leave it in the fill hole the fuel backs up and shuts the pump off. Sometimes it just spills out without filling. This happens no matter if the boat tank is empty, 1/2, 3/4 etc…

I live in Rural Alabama and have not had the opportunity to fill the boat directly from a standard gas station pump….and the marina on our lake is $7/ gal.. so that’s why I use 5 gal cans exclusively.

I have read the post on how the enviro fill system works. My question is if anyone has been successful in modifying/removing ot and going back to just a straight hose fill system.

FYI, my little pump I got works great on all my other water toys (bass boat, jet skis etc…).

Thank you.

I had no issues with the Super Siphon on the port fill . I have the Direct Fill option now .

I have a 2017 R23 and the same battery powered fuel pump. I put the fuel jug on my dock and insert the end of the pump's nozzle just slightly into the boat. If I push it in too far, the pump will kick off. I am careful to not disturb it while it's pumping because there is not much holding it into the opening. Don't want it to come out and pump fuel into the lake.

Not an ideal situation but it is workable. I wasn't able to get my jiggle siphon to work with this new (to me) boat. The diameter of the fuel opening is smaller than the jiggle siphon I've used for years on two previous Benny's.

What is the direct fill option?
It is this:

500CC860-4454-47A8-93B9-D9B5FBDF1506.png
As the name implies, you put fuel directly into the fuel tank, instead of through a side fuel line leading into the fuel tank. The tank being under a floor hatch near the rear center pontoon and transom. I believe this option came out in 2019 on some models with tritoon hulls.

Last edited:
Your fill is likely burping due to a vent obstruction - clogged vent screen, water or fuel stuck in a vent line that is in a p-trap sagging portion, etc. I would assume by reconfiguring the system you are suggesting removing the carbon canister but you still need a tank vent somewhere, and so if that line is compromised in any way your modifications may not resolve the issue. I would recommend inspecting the system first -tracing out lines ensuring they are straight, cleaning the vent screen, etc. which may allow you to avoid having to perform any modifications at all.

One bypass method has been to use a long-nosed funnel (I was supplied one by the dealer with my boat purchase) which as far as I can tell allows the tank to vent back up the fill neck without a messy burp.

This is not a rare issue so the good news is there are already several threads about this that can help.

I have a 2020 23GFB with a Yamaha 300 and love the boat. First time I tried to add fuel with a 5-gallon can or any type of pump hose- it all came flying back at me. Called the dealer and he said to get a fuel filler extender like the FloTool Capless Gas Tank Funnel. Best $3 I ever spent, never had any trouble adding fuel using this device in the tank fill neck.

1659886389225.png

My 2021 S model with side fill went from bad to worse when I replaced the tank on my modified boat. It had nothing to do with the vent. The way the system works is when flow forces (pressure) gets to the little hole on the bottom side of the fill nozzle it shuts it off. Realigning the nozzle would allow a slow fill but with occasional spit back. It was terrible. I forget what I did but it had something to do with indexing the pickup between my thumb and forefinger (see photo). Now it shuts off when the tank is near full. I wish I could give you more but my memory is not so good.
1659892032208.jpeg

fuel using this device in the tank fill ne
I have a 2020 23GFB with a Yamaha 300 and love the boat. First time I tried to add fuel with a 5-gallon can or any type of pump hose- it all came flying back at me. Called the dealer and he said to get a fuel filler extender like the FloTool Capless Gas Tank Funnel. Best $3 I ever spent, never had any trouble adding fuel using this device in the tank fill neck.

View attachment 33176
So, I got the following battery pump from Amazon:

Solved all the issues. The nozzle on this one gets past the vent outlet on the envirofill system and allows it to fill just like at the normal gas pump. I will be getting one of those capless tank fill adapters as well.

My 2021 S model with side fill went from bad to worse when I replaced the tank on my modified boat. It had nothing to do with the vent. The way the system works is when flow forces (pressure) gets to the little hole on the bottom side of the fill nozzle it shuts it off. Realigning the nozzle would allow a slow fill but with occasional spit back. It was terrible. I forget what I did but it had something to do with indexing the pickup between my thumb and forefinger (see photo). Now it shuts off when the tank is near full. I wish I could give you more but my memory is not so good.
View attachment 33177
Great info - thank you. What do you mean by "indexing" the line you are holding - IE turning the insert so the opening is pointed in a certain direction, or something else?

Great info - thank you. What do you mean by "indexing" the line you are holding - IE turning the insert so the opening is pointed in a certain direction, or something else?
I rotated the pressure pickup (insert) to reduce the pressure that kicks out the fill nozzle. I forget how much. I had to melt plastic on the side of the pickup to accommodate the retainer.

Back