ESP vs Standard Performance Package

wchasioux

Reaction score
We are working to finalize an order for a 2013 2550 RBR. I am doing a 250 HP Mercury outboard and would like to add Sea Legs. We are debating the ESP Performance package or the Standard Performance Package. The reason for the debate is my dealer can come to my house and pick up my pontoon for the winter and deliver it back into my dock in the spring if I do the Standard Performance Package. If I go with the ESP Package then they won't come and get it due to the size of the 32 inch toon and clearance for their trailer. That means to go with the ESP, I have to also buy a trailer that I would only use to put the boat in and take it out for winter. Does anybody have good or bad to say about the Standard Performance Package? I have read about the ESP and it sounds like a great improvment, but I can't find much info on the Standard Performance Package. Our use for the pontoon will be cruising, tubing and some wakeboard practice for the kids. We have a Mastercraft Wakeboard boat for wakeboarding, but they will want to work on their skills behind the pontoon as well. Thanks.

Welcome!

I can't speak to the SPS performance, but I think it limits you to 150hp according to their specs.

I was in the exact same position as you and will end up buying a trailer just for storage and service, and storing it at the dealer. He'll then use it to launch and retrieve the boat for us. The issue is the center lift type of utility trailers they use at many marinas. If the dealer has a regular 2 bunk style trailer they can still move it safely for short distances, but would have to move it off to storage with a forklift or hoist. Our dealer offered that but I decided a trailer would be a safer option.

wchasioux,

We have owned 2 Benningtons with the Standard Performance Package. The first one was a 2006 2275 GL IO with a 5.0L Volvo Penta. The boat performed very well for a heavy tritoon! Top speed was 47mph and it cruised nice at 30mph. Dry/smooth ride with good turning ability.

Second Bennington is a 2012 22SSI with the XL Performance Package (basically the standard performance package) it has a Mercury 150 4 stroke outboard. This boat is very quick out of the hole, planes at very low speed. Top speed is 42 mph cruises nice at 26 mph. very dry/smooth ride. This boat seems to be have more performance and handling I think do to it weighting over 1000lbs less than our first Bennington! We do most of our boating with between 4 to 8 people (adults) on-board. We use the boat on a local lake & at the Colorado River Parker Az. strip. The water can be very rough on the river on holiday weekends but these Benningtons do very well in rough water!

RiverBill

I know I love my ESP! You might have read my story before about taking a couple out who had a 1 year old other brand tri toon with a 150, we'll they traded in theirs an picked up an inboard ESP, they couldn't believe how much nicer it handled and banked so smooth. I assure you the ESP is worth it. Especially if you do add sea legs since the ESP has the added buoyancy with the 32" elliptical. I know the sea legs are pretty heavy. What is going to be the main use for the season legs? When docked or just when lounging in the bay?

BulldogsCadillac,

I would like to use the sea legs at my dock and when pulling up to sandbars on the river. We use a floating dock at my house due to changing levels of the river so it would be nice to stand the boat above the water next to my dock and leave my Mastercraft in the floating dock.

Hopefully I don't end up like Bulldog's friends!!!!

I ordered thecsps package on a 2275 GCW with a 150 hp motor, I think I will be very pleased with it. However, this is the setup that the SPS package was designed for. Anything larger than the 150 hp motor and I believe you would greatly benefit from the ESP. I don't know anybody that has that setup on a SPS package, I believe Bennington would strongly suggest you go with the ESP at that horsepower.

Good luck with your decision.... I know how tough some of them can be, talk to lots of people first, I have even talked to the Bennington reps before my purchase.

I see how the sea legs would be useful to you. I think I would seriously consider the ESP for the added buoyancy and also for the center storage, I have 2 2 person tunes, a kneeboard,and even 2 wakeboards all at one time. By the sounds of your situation, you will be having all those things and it's much nicer to throw them in the center storage instead of tripping on them. I think it would be a tight squeeze fitting those items in the other option. Just my thoughts. You'll love either one, it's a Bennington! Haha

I went with the "standard" performance package versus the ESP with my Verado 200. This is for a 25 RBR.

Ok, now I am starting to over-think this. Do I need to go to the ESP with the 200 Verado, or am I ok with the performance package?

I'm sure your ok with the standard pp, I just love my ESP. It's one of the major design innovations that separate Bennington from the others. Its all a matter of preference. I had my 2 tooner and knew I wanted to carve the water up!! So I chose ESP for my next boat, love how it handles!

If you're going with 250 horsepower, you need to go ahead and invest in the ESP. When you're putting the best motor on a high line boat, you need to have the best hull. And it has been said the ride and handling is so much better.

The center elliptical toon is oval shaped, and it has the same height as the 25" toon. It is not lower than the outer tubes, as some of the competition.

Your boat with ESP can be transported to a dealership for service on a regular two toon trailer. You wouldn't want to haul it 100 miles or over rough roads, but if it's not very far, a special trailer is not required.

My last pontoon boat lasted 27 years, and I sold the trailer many years ago. I've used neighbors' trailers sitting in my yard. We plan on taking out new Bennie to other lakes and do some long distance river travel, and we bought a new trailer this year. We'd taken better care of our boat had we had a trailer of our own. Any high dollar boat really needs to have its own trailer.

I finalized my order today. After a fair amount of deliberation, I decided to go with the ESP. I bought a trailer that my dealer will store for me and went with the 250 Mercury Verado Pro. For me, it boiled down to either keeping it simple and less expensive (standard 2 toon and smaller motor) or build it with the performance technology that Bennington has developed. I think the standard performance package would be just fine but I know myself and I would always be wondering how much better the performance could've been with the ESP, even if I didn't really need the extra performance. Other than the cost of the trailer, the price difference between the two wasn't all that much.

Congrats ! You will love the ESP ! Did you get the center storage and fuel tank ? I know it continues to add up, but it is a great addition to the ESP. Gerry

Yup got the works. Center storage and my dealer told me for 2013 the bigger fuel tank is included in the ESP package. I questioned that because on the web site it says it is extra but he assured me it is in the package now. Thanks we are now waiting for summer!

Ok called and left a message for my dealer go with the ESP. Now there is not one option left that hasn't been ordered on this 25RBR.

Now we just patiently wait for the ice to melt in May.

Did u get the flag holder? :D

Just didn't want you to be disappointed when it arrives! Haha oh and save your money on the "mesh bag" for the playpen cover, not sure if it's offered this year.

Just didn't want you to be disappointed when it arrives! Haha oh and save your money on the "mesh bag" for the playpen cover, not sure if it's offered this year.
I guess I didn't get a tower, but you know you need one ha ha!

We just got back from Maui last Sunday and while I don't have the flag holder yet, I did pick up 2 very cool flags for the new Benny.

Back