Express Tube Anode

BucketsII

Reaction score
I have been reading on this forum some horror stories about pitting on tubes. After much research I found out that the best defense is to make sure the anodes are installed correctly and that there is plenty of material on anodes. I do not have my pontoon yet but I did go over to see it (it is getting bottom paint) I was able to locate anodes on the two side pontoons on the back, one on the transom and one on the yamaha itself but I could not find on the center express tube. Can anyone that has an express package tell me if it is supposed to have one and if so, where?

Please anybody out there with express package that know where the anodes are located?

Have you asked your dealer ? Or who is ever doing the painting ?

We just had the Miami International Boat show here and it appears all went well because dealers are swamped getting boats delivered and ordered. I have asked about anodes but have not received an answer yet. Thought I would try this forum for faster and more knowledgeable answers. Boat is still getting bottom painted or at least it is still at shop that is getting it painted.

Patience, grasshopper. :) I know we have several people on this board that boat in salt that should be able to weigh-in on your question. Enjoy that new boat!

I got my answer from Bennington and will post for any future inquiries from fellow members. There are only 3 anodes on the saltwater package. One on each side pontoon and the one on the transom. None on the center Express tube.
Looking forward to enjoying it once I get it. Hopefully it will be BEFORE the payment coupon book. LOL

Which anodes do you use in salt water? I just did a search and found that aluminum would be what I need, but what size, and where would they be mounted? I could mount one easily on the transom, and on the toon with the depth finder, but would I need to have another bracket welded to the starboard side of the boat?

Last edited:
Zinc.

Cwag, I found a chart that listed two, either magnesium or aluminum, but I have no clue. I see why you stated Zinc, but it looks like aluminum would be good in all types of water.

There are other considerations. For example, if your boat is connected to shore power, and thus connected to all the other boats at the dock, you may choose “weaker” zinc over aluminum to minimize the electrical activity. But if your boat has a galvanic isolator, or you’re not plugged in, the more active anode might be a better choice.

A good anode video to watch.

$

Last edited:
I am in brackish water and would need aluminum so I contacted Bennington to find out what they put on and they told me all they put on their pontoons saltwater series is aluminum.

So what keeps the anode from being eaten up before the rest of the boat if it’s all the same, aluminum?

My answer was because I thought you were asking what goes with salt water. I worked at a marina in NJ back in the 80's and it was all salt water boats (Jersey Shore). Every boat that came in for just about anything got new zincs. These were all 25' and up.

I don't think the material in the aluminum anodes is as dense as pontoon so it is the first thing to go. I am sure there is a more scientific answer but as long as it works, it is good for me.

My answer was because I thought you were asking what goes with salt water. I worked at a marina in NJ back in the 80's and it was all salt water boats (Jersey Shore). Every boat that came in for just about anything got new zincs. These were all 25' and up.

So, you're saying that the zinc will be sacrificed much quicker than the aluminum? I'm only going to be in the salt water for a few days (off and on the trailer) in Destin, but I still want to be sure that no damage is done in that short time. I am planning on taking a hose to was it off as well as flush the motor each time I remove it from the water.
I'm also thinking about using a boat ramp slightly up a river that dumps into the Gulf, so it would flush and rinse the boat on the way.

So now that I will be in salt/brackish I should leave the factory anodes as well?

Thanks Carl. So Bennington comes with aluminum standard and that is not recommended for fresh water which is what I’ve been in for the last 4 seasons. Looks like I’ll be good going forward.

Our 1st boat, a bowrider, was used mostly in brackish water in Maryland and we had 3 zinc sacrificial anodes on the outdrive.....

I read that Carl, but it’s hard to believe that Bennington would put aluminum anodes on a rig that doesn’t have the salt water package. That tells me that they expect it to be a mostly, fresh water boat. So, I’m going to have to believe that the ones footing the bills for a long warranty have done their diligence in researching anodes.

It might also be that none of the rules apply to those that trailer everywhere. Those rules might apply to vessels that sit in boat slips.

I know this might be a really stupid question, but could you install BOTH types and cya for both water uses???

Back