Fenders and Thoughts

Newben2021

Reaction score
We are brand new to the Bennington Family and this is our first pontoon or Tritoon “ever” - so a couple Newbie questions. I see the EZ Fender Clips seem to be popular, but do they interfere with the mooring cover? Also, on our lake we will need an anchor. I have researched numorous and leaning towards a box anchor or slip-ring...any thoughts? They seem to have the greatest holding power which we will need. And, while I’m asking, any words of wisdom for new Tritoon owners...Ordered our 2021 23LXFSB for Christmas and estimated delivery in April.

I have had them on every Bennington I have owned and never had an interference issue . Personally I would not use anything else .Hard part is drilling holes into a Brand New Boat . Fenders I use 27 X 8.5 .These are black ,they had white when I ordered mine .

Attachments

• 1608757173568.png
    1608757173568.png
    901 KB · Views: 16
We also have the EZ Fender. Have never had an issue with them interfering with the mooring cover and we like the ease of using them and adjusting the height of the fender. We have the blackout package and went with black fenders. I purchased them in a four pack from Bass Pro for around $50.

As for the anchor, I have a large galvanized Slide Anchor box anchor and it is exceptional. We have a 22SSXAPG with a Yamaha 150 and the holding power is outstanding. The ability to fold the anchor and the included storage bag are the icing on the cake!

Welcome and congratulations!

Another one for EZ fender. I have 3 on each side. The mooring cover was a bit tight around them so I had extra material sewn on them so it wouldn't wear through over the years. The guys on this forum love the box anchor but let me throw another one out there. We have had the Digger anchor for years. Fits perfectly under a front corner seat. https://www.diggeranchor.com/

Another EZ Fender fan

Taylor made fenders have served me well. easy to pop on and pop off and move around as needed. No drilling required.
Also no regrets on my box anchor, a small one holds alot of boat.
I'd also recommend saddle floats if you plan to spend any time at all just floating. These are the best, they're super thick and hold up even my fat arse:

Taylor made fenders have served me well. easy to pop on and pop off and move around as needed. No drilling required.
I'd also recommend saddle floats if you plan to spend any time at all just floating. These are the best, they're super thick and hold up even my fat arse:

+1 on the saddle floats. Love'em! Noticed they were $54-$30. We were lucky enough to pick some up when our Gander mountain went out of business a couple yrs ago for $5.00. We used to just use our throw pillows to sit on and float around with for years until getting these.....

You can “diaper up” and put a life vest on upside down instead of using saddle floats if you don’t want to drop the coin for them. Also no need to take up extra storage with them.

You can “diaper up” and put a life vest on upside down instead of using saddle floats if you don’t want to drop the coin for them. Also no need to take up extra storage with them.
I've been doing this for decades. We have had saddles in the past, but they only seem to last about a season before they start tearing.

i certainly appreciate all the information. We have new cushion floats on order (heaven forbid we use old ones that don’t match the boat, ha). I‘m leaning towards the Taylor Made fender clips. I’ll probably get the nerve to drill holes in the rails after our first dock dimple or after breaking a few clips. I’m still kicking around the anchor, but will go with the box or the digger as recommended above. I still have some time to decide that as the boat starts production the first week of February.

Although we are not new to boating, we are new Grandparents (which is the purpose from moving to a pontoon) do any of you have ideas or recommendations for infant/toddler PFDs? Our grand daughter will 9 months at the beginning of the season (April/May) and our new grand son will be about 6 months. Do any of you have experience with the Stolquist (sp?) infant/toddler PFD? Thank once again for everyone’s input and advice.

I remember the old days of just floating on a blue square seat cushion, lol

I have only used Taylor made clips for 8 seasons we have owned our pontoon. They are easy to use or move and have NEVER had one crack, break or pop off. We VERY seldom raft up and are on a small (400 acre) lake if that makes any difference to you. Usually just my wife and I on a slow cruise and I often just leave the fenders hanging.

I have only used Taylor made clips for 8 seasons we have owned our pontoon. They are easy to use or move and have NEVER had one crack, break or pop off. We VERY seldom raft up and are on a small (400 acre) lake if that makes any difference to you. Usually just my wife and I on a slow cruise and I often just leave the fenders hanging.
With the Taylor, do you clip them on with the attached fenders when needing them or do the clips stay clipped and you attach the fender when needing them?

With the Taylor, do you clip them on with the attached fenders when needing them or do the clips stay clipped and you attach the fender when needing them?
Clips are attached to the fenders with the rope and I clip them on and off as a unit if I need to move or remove them.

Back