First Service 70hp Yamaha

TOON'D OUT

Reaction score
I am coming up on my first service of our TOON as we now have 20 hours on the engine. We have the 70 hp Yamaha 4 stroke and I was wondering what is a reasonable price to pay for the first serivce? I am thinking the dealer will change the oil and look things over? New to boat ownership here and would appreciate any thoughts, feedback.

And what can I expect the dealer to do on the first service?

Thanks!

Had the 20 hour service on my Yamaha 90hp outboard done at my dealer last October. They follow the 20 hour service schedule in the Yamaha maintenance literature and it included oil changes, ringfree additive, fuel filter change, fuel/water separator changed and general lube/grease at various points on the motor. The bill was $308.00.

It was certainly more than I was accustomed to based on regular automotive maintenance! I do recall that when I took delivery of the boat, they made a point of giving me a piece of paper that listed their maintenance labor rates ($105/hour)and I remember thinking there must be a reason for it - it was apparently to prepare me for the shock of the cost!

Anyway, the Yamaha schedule says the fuel/water separator should be changed every 50 hours; have already bought a new one for $16.00 and will be changing that myself when the time comes.

When changing the Yamaha Water Fuel separator, what do you have to do to stop the gas from flowing out of the hoses??

Back