Fishing Rod Storage Suggestions

TexAgg56

Reaction score
I'll be taking my new 20SLX in on the 20th to get the extra installed. I figured I could do the fishing pole storage myself.   I really didn't want any screw holes in my rails. Well...come to find out. Not as easy as I had imagined! With the mooring cover on, everything I have installed needs to come back off for the cover the fit.  I know this isn't really the "fishing" version. Anyone have do-it-yourself rod storage ideas. NO HOLES in my boat!  But alas....I may not have an option.  IF I have to have rod holders "screwed in" to the railing or siding, anyone have pics to show where they install a rod holder? Is it down low on the  stern? Do they screw it in on the lowest rail?  Thanks in advance to all!

AND I am having a tow bar installed on the 20th!  Never occurred to me!  WHOOP! (as we say in Aggieland!) My problem may be solved! Thankyou !!  Will post pics once everything is installed!

That's what we're here for.

BcpNick has a great setup, but would not work on an S due to how the cover fits.  I had the same problem you did.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Baitcaster-Spinning-Holder-Square/dp/B004O0DQX0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496606162&sr=8-1&keywords=rod+holder+square+rail

Check these out. I put them on mine and am pretty happy so far. They clamp onto the rail so no drilling required. Make sure you order the proper size for your rail. I did not like the factory option for a rod storage box that took up floor space and these can be placed anywhere you want them. I put 5 of them on with 2 on each side by the front fishing seats 1 behind my captains chair and ordered 5 extra bases that I put in a row on the back rail for upright storage or fishing off the rear seat. They will also work for trolling in that position. I take the holders out of the bases when putting the cover on and they do not interfere with it if you install the bases so the holder sits on the inside of the rail and not jutting out over the side.

I mounted a Scotty base to my transom, got a 4" extension and use a triple holder. I also mounted the same ones as the-little-B mentioned, on my bimini rails (one each side) and have holders mounted in those. I'm going to mount two more on the bimini frame in the "open" position, so I can still use the holders with the bimini open. /monthly_2017_06/large.IMG_0112.JPG.ba86ff0343bd71b95112f65290389b09.JPG

This is probably not what you were asking for but I rigged this up for some extra rod storage.  I keep in the rear starboard side with the rods ready to go if we need them.  I have the SSX model with the rod holders and live well but this is nice for when we are tubing or lounging - keeps the rods off to the side out of the way.  

/monthly_2016_05/573125faea33f_coolerrodholder.jpg.0789613cb0d36028a5daa549e1c33dce.jpg

Attachments

• cooler rod holder.jpg
    cooler rod holder.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 23
I mounted a Scotty base to my transom, got a 4" extension and use a triple holder. I also mounted the same ones as the-little-B mentioned, on my bimini rails (one each side) and have holders mounted in those. I'm going to mount two more on the bimini frame in the "open" position, so I can still use the holders with the bimini open. /monthly_2017_06/large.IMG_0112.JPG.ba86ff0343bd71b95112f65290389b09.JPG

Semp... showing off that 20 ;)   Where did you get the flagpole?

I think I came across it on eBay one day. It's the Taylor Made Pontoon Flag kit. I would normally buy at my dealer but this was the 30" pole model and he only has the 24". 

Back