Floods- New Benny Sits

Alicedream

Reaction score
Some of you may have seen the floods in Missouri over the last couple of weeks.  Since I dropped my new Benny in the water we have had nothing but rain which is why I  took off work to get it in  when I did because the forecast out a few weeks did not look good. Well, that may have been the understatement of the year as Truman Lake, the lake we boat on, is up 23.5 feet in the last 10 days.  The marina we keep the boat at was closed last weekend because of the flooding and it looks like the marina's will be closed this weekend also. The dam is putting out right now almost 26 billion gallons of water a day and over the last two days and the water level still went up. The lake will probably start coming down tomorrow at this rate about 6 inches a day.  I posted some pics of the flooding at the marina. The roof you see with water to the top is a pavilion they use for fishing tournaments and other functions.  The pic of my Benny in its crib was taken by some friends who were on the lake fishing.  It was good to see it resting comfortably. :rolleyes: /monthly_2017_05/large.IMG_0755.JPG.720ec739c8657d37881d69f19ce17c9d.JPG/monthly_2017_05/large.IMG_0757.JPG.ba65cf55c93239e111f721a07f1b3fce.JPG/monthly_2017_05/large.IMG_0754.JPG.2ae3552afeac63ea3238ca37168f6f5a.JPG/monthly_2017_05/large.IMG_0758.JPG.f03c19715bac99d17a69f7a22b600a0e.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes!

Wow! Thought our lake level was up! We have docks and some yards underwater but those pics are crazy!

We are a little high in NY but boating still alright

WOW,WOW WOW! I won't complain about our cool rainy weekend now. 

I assume that water brings a lot of debris that will be both floating and submerged. So be carefull  when you are able to get the boat on the water.

That is crazy. I'm happy to see the Benny is ok and staying high and dry!

Wow!! I guess I won't complain about 7' low right now .... that's crazy!! 

WOW!  May be a dumb question but... We are not in a marina or on a lake that changes depth much, so I'm not sure what going on. How come the docks/lifts are ok when the water is up and submerging everything else?  Floating docks?  How does that work with lifts?  Or are you on a different lake than the flooded one? Glad the boat is doing well. 

Yes swiftm, our docks are 16' segments that float on four 55 gallon barrels per segment.  There are poles that go through the docks and are sunk into the sand bed.  These poles are not permanent as the water recedes during the summer the poles are lifted, the docks get pushed out and then the poles are reset.  When the end of boating season comes the three-sided dock is collapsed and tied to shore.  As the water recedes the docks are on dry land and when the water returns they float once again.  Two new 16' segments are built each year and replace the segments that are in the worst shape.  The association is responsible for this main walkway and each member is responsible for his own finger. 

It is a good and necessary system for our lake due to the rise and fall of the water level but naturally this means the docks aren't as steady as those that are on permanent posts

I assume that water brings a lot of debris that will be both floating and submerged. So be carefull  when you are able to get the boat on the water.

Yes, it does not get this high very often but when it does the lake is a mess with floating logs for a few weeks. You have to know the lake some areas worse than others.

Yeah we went to St. louis over last weekend for our anniversary and could not believe all the flooding. We saw most of it in Illinois. It was unreal. The water was at the edge of the highway and out as far as you could see. We are dealing with some flooding ourselves. Went down to storage yesterday to get some measurements for my boat and went down to the ramp. It was pretty high and will be a while before we are able to get on the river.  :(

20170509_1828501_zpsjkddsa1u.jpg
20170509_1828551_zpso9tegjfs.jpg

WOW!  May be a dumb question but... We are not in a marina or on a lake that changes depth much, so I'm not sure what going on. How come the docks/lifts are ok when the water is up and submerging everything else?  Floating docks?  How does that work with lifts?  Or are you on a different lake than the flooded one? Glad the boat is doing well. 

The docks on our lake are  conecetted to cables that are anchored to the lake bottom. The lifts are only connected to the dock. My lift is bracketed to each side of the dock. When the water rises, they release more cable and dock rises with it and so does lift. Normal lake level where I am slipped is 10 feet an it is now 33 1/2 feet deep.

It's been raining non stop in Central and Northern New York.   The lake Ontario area of Northern new York is at a critical stage now as water levels continue to rise.  Some house are literally half off eroded cliffs ready to fall into the water.  I feel sick for the families who will lose their homes.  It's going to put a huge dent in the boating season for Marinas in the area.  

Very true! That's why I had to get a small crack welded up on mine several weeks ago. Submerged log was hit by me, and created a crack right at the rear most seam in the toon. Easy fix, but still not something you like to feel/hear when cruising along. 

Thanks link and Alicedream. I've seen floating docks that are around posts that let them rise and fall but wasn't familiar with ones that could change 33 feet!

Thanks link and Alicedream. I've seen floating docks that are around posts that let them rise and fall but wasn't familiar with ones that could change 33 feet!

They're very sturdy you would never know they were floating.

Back