Fuel gauge

Swl5038

Reaction score
My first post, so please excuse me if this has been asked before.

Does anyone have a feel for how accurate the fuel gauge is on a new 2022 pontoon? I’ve got 22 hours on it and it’s sitting at 1/4 tank. Doesn’t seem to be dropping lately.

Thanks for your time
S

My first post, so please excuse me if this has been asked before.

Does anyone have a feel for how accurate the fuel gauge is on a new 2022 pontoon? I’ve got 22 hours on it and it’s sitting at 1/4 tank. Doesn’t seem to be dropping lately.

Thanks for your time
S
I wish mine wasn't dropping. LOL

Many boats do not have stabilized fuel indications. If the reading (needle or digital) was active with maneuvering or wave action but is not now, you may be on borrowed time. To be sure, boat fuel gauge accuracy is generally not good. Don't trust the reading until you've got a feel for how the indication changes with adding fuel too.

Beyond that, there are lots of variables. How many of the hours are actually on the motor above idle versus the sound system? Meaning is time logged with only the key on/acc? Or do they log only with the motor running?

The gauge on my previous boat used to fluctuate like the stock market! At rest it would indicate 1/4 tank. As soon as you stepped on it and cruised around it would be almost 1/2 tank. My rule used to be to start heading to a marina fuel dock at a 1/4 tank. But then again with a 52 gallon tank I still had 13 gallons left!

i have a new 22svsr and it is supposed to have the 38 gallon tank. i think my gauge is off as well. just sitting i was around 1/4 tank, but when I went to fill it it only took 18 gal (so should be more around 1/2 tank)

i have a new 22svsr and it is supposed to have the 38 gallon tank. i think my gauge is off as well. just sitting i was around 1/4 tank, but when I went to fill it it only took 18 gal (so should be more around 1/2 tank)

I haven’t been able to find out how large my fuel tank is. I’ll look better tomorrow. But I think yours and mine should be similar. I filled mine tonight and it took approximately 18 gallons. I’ll know more tomorrow

Thanks
S

I wouldn't trust it if you're looking to calculate fuel burn and trip logistics, too variable as everyone has said.

From what I've read many fuel senders work on gauge height, so depending on the geometry of the tank it may not be linear - in other words, a 1 inch travel in the float could mean different fuel amounts consumed at different points in the tank (imagine an upside down pyramid). My guess is most of ours are rectangular so a non issue.

If you are a fuel hawk like I am get a separate fuel gauge that pulls engine data which will be incredibly accurate, down to a quarter gallon or better in my experience. No more worrying about floats, tank geometry, mechanical failures or running out of gas unexpectedly.

I wouldn't trust it if you're looking to calculate fuel burn and trip logistics, too variable as everyone has said.

From what I've read many fuel senders work on gauge height, so depending on the geometry of the tank it may not be linear - in other words, a 1 inch travel in the float could mean different fuel amounts consumed at different points in the tank (imagine an upside down pyramid). My guess is most of ours are rectangular so a non issue.

If you are a fuel hawk like I am get a separate fuel gauge that pulls engine data which will be incredibly accurate, down to a quarter gallon or better in my experience. No more worrying about floats, tank geometry, mechanical failures or running out of gas unexpectedly.
May I ask what gauge you may be referring to? The last thing I want is to go empty with my grandkids onboard.

May I ask what gauge you may be referring to? The last thing I want is to go empty with my grandkids onboard.

It depends - if you're running a Mercury outboard you may want to look into their specific fuel gauges or even Vessel View line of products. Same with Yamaha (I have the 6Y8 round multi-function gauges) which gets data from the engine bus - plug and play.

A third option is to get an aftermarket gauge like from Faria which may be able to tie into the engine bus via NMEA 2000 or may require an inline fuel flow transducer that send flow information to the gauge.

Last option would be to get a chartplotter that also can receive engine data either via NMEA 2000 or other communication standard and display it. I run one of these as well in addition to my Yamaha gauges.

This is a lot of technobabble to say you have options. If you're not a DIY type then talking to your dealer is recommended.

4A5EA74C-2A06-46F2-B10D-F098B7B81C6A.jpeg
6D31CD54-0182-46A8-B936-8F9603BCB056.jpeg

Last edited:
Just for reference, was poking around the Benny owner guide and wanted to pass this along. Instructive as to the OP's original question.

A8F9E1BA-53E6-4825-B6BD-8692C3000D41.jpeg

"The fuel gauge will read within 1/4 of a tank accuracy." So in my case, plus or minus 14 gallons, or a 28 gallon range. Talk about horseshoes and hand grenades... ;)

Back