Fuel octane

truckone176

Reaction score
i have a 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO and still have some confusion on fuel octane requirements. The lake that I boat on has straight gasoline available but it is a few octane points lower that needed. However, I can get the gasoline with ethanol at the higher octane rating. What does Yamaha say do or what are some of your recommendations?

We now have both here and I always opt for the Ethanol-free fuel. I don't remember offhand what the fuel rating is but even if it's a bit lower than Ethanol it has to be better for your engine. I've had more problems with Ethanol and my carbureted dirt bike than I care to remember. Ethanol in my experience has been terrible.

I'd run straight gas with an octane booster as cwag suggested. I also run a sho 250 and it for sure likes the high octane

Our Marina at The Lake sells Ethanol Free at a major premium in price
To me it is worth the cost to give longer lasting life to the motor
Now I know You Have A Huge Motor
But for the people thinking Ethanol Free or Not ,,,,,,,
I will say I called Yamaha when I bought the F90 4 stroke
Ofcourse I understand nothing compared to what you have
BUT
Yamaha told me it was fine to purchase and use regular 87 Octane with their F90
For me the Old Adage
Better Safe Than Sorry
Soooooo
No Ethanol
yamaha-f90-outboard.jpg

Our boat has never had fuel with ethanol in it.

I also use ethanol free fuel in all of my power equipment after fuel lines in an old gas blower literally disintegrated in my hand.....

Knock on wood, and hope I don’t jinx myself but I’ve used ethanol with stabilizer for years in all my stuff without issue. It must be stabilized immediately. If you wait, the phase separation has probably started and it will do no good. I also use the YAMAHA ring guard. My motor might be small, but it gets 100 hours a year. The newer equipment uses rubber hoses designed for ethanol, but I also had older stuff, that the hoses disintegrated.

I had the 250 SHO and always ran premium (91 octane) ethanol free fuel. I always added the Yamalube Ring Free Plus in it as well.

When I had my 90hp I always just ran regular 87 octane with ethanol and as Semp said, added Yamalube Fuel Stabilizer and Conditioner Plus with every tank. Never had a problem with either engine.

With my 115 I started out filling up on the lake with what the marinas call "marine grade" I believe it was ethanol but treated. After discussion on here I made the commitment to haul ethanol free gas in 5 gallon cans that cost more. Being a slow cruiser the gas lasts a long time sitting in my tank and that worried me. Hope those early days don't have an effect on my engine so I don't have to explain to the wife.......

GOT TO BUY A BIGGER ENGINE

I've always run 91 octane ethanol free in my 250 SHO. The one time I tried 93 octane ethanol free it did not like it at start up and idle so back to the 91.

I've always run 91 octane ethanol free in my 250 SHO. The one time I tried 93 octane ethanol free it did not like it at start up and idle so back to the 91.
Usually put 87 octane E free. One day the marina was out of 87 so we put 93. I swear the boat had more pep but no real difference.......Other than $3.29-$3.79 a gallon......

I never use fuel with ethanol in my boat, tractor, mower or anything else that will sit for long periods. Ethanol fuel is trouble waiting to happen when it has time to evaporate and turn partially into water. Our marina on Lake Fenton has 89 octane E free fuel and it's not cheap but peace of mind has a value to me.

91 octane no ethanol.

I’m the dark horse running pump gas!!!! The manual says it can run it, so I do. It wasn’t readily available where I was in Michigan. No ethanol seems easier to find here in Florida so maybe I’ll switch.

I go back and forth. I know some e10 stations so I go there before usually. If it's a camping/ boating weekend or I'm in a hurry to put in I'll hit the marina. The non E station is somewhat close but in the opposite direction of the water.

I’ve used 87 e10 for years with no problems in my last two boats, mainly because the good stuff is either quite expensive or not easily available. I do however use Seafoam on a regular basis. So far, so good.

I use sea foam as well!

Another one for Seafoam. I use it at least once a season to keep the fuel injectors clean.....

Back