Fuel tank

ronhurlburt

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge about larger fuel capacity? I have the 250 vmax and a 30 gal tank where the bait well is. I have to fill every other time out. I have zero complaints about my Bennington other than I can't believe for a boat my size with a 250 hp they only allowed for 30 gallons. Makes no sense.

My build had the option for a 52g tank. Only complaint is the pump shuts off at $100 and I have to pump again! Can't wait until gas is $4/gal and I have to fill up 3 times.

I can easily burn 30 gallons in one trip so I feel your pain. Not sure if there is a way to retrofit in a larger tank, but would be worth asking the Bennington engineers that question - I think they can pull up your hull in the system so may be able to give some technical advice.

Had a 52 gallon tank on our 2275 RL I/O. It was good on gas as long as we weren't mashing that throttle skiing or something. The price of ethanol free gas is at $4.19 on our lake now. Like I've always said ......If it needs it fill it up!!! We've spent alot of money on these boats! Enjoy them!!!

Thanks a bunch. My Tritoon has to go in for some warranty work for the deck to the factory. I am definitely going to inquire. I like the sound of the 52 gal tank. It would at least almost double my capacity cutting down times at the gas dock.

I hear you on the fuel tank size. We have a 33 gallon tank paired with our 200HP Merc Verado Pro. Same issues you have in regards to regularity of fill ups. Just too often! I wish we had the larger tank too to cut those refueling stops in half. Boat design (hull, layout, supports, weight balance) really impacts what they can drop into them for a fuel tank.

One of my requirements when we were lake house shopping 5 years ago was the lake had to have a marina on it for pull up refueling. That was one of a handful of non-negotiables in our search.

We passed up a number of nice places on very nice lakes as a result because they didn’t have marinas. It was so worth it. Nothing better than just pulling up dockside and having someone else fill up the gas tank. Worth the extra cost of gas in my book. Lugging 6x5 gallon cans regularly would absolutely stink in my mind. And lord knows my back and neck aren’t getting any younger...

Absolutely agree. I am in Cape Coral, FL and tend to go quite some distance. I always make sure I have a full tank to get me where I am going and back again along with carrying an extra 5 gal can for reserve in case I am out of range of a gas dock. Although cheaper, I am not about to start lugging gas cans to fill up for the small savings on my trips. But I would very much like to have more capacity/distance between fill ups. Another plus is gas at most of the gas docks near me is high test and ethanol free. Thanks for the feedback and happy boating.

Had a 52 gallon tank on our 2275 RL I/O. It was good on gas as long as we weren't mashing that throttle skiing or something. The price of ethanol free gas is at $4.19 on our lake now. Like I've always said ......If it needs it fill it up!!! We've spent alot of money on these boats! Enjoy them!!!
BK

I was down at SML a few weeks ago and rented one of those old, beat up pontoons at Parrot Cove. Had a 60 HP OB and two 5-gal tanks with a manual tank selector. At the end of our 4-day trip, took it back to the marina to settle up on fuel costs - $19 and some change.

I burn that every 15-minutes on my big boat!! :D

Absolutely agree. I am in Cape Coral, FL and tend to go quite some distance. I always make sure I have a full tank to get me where I am going and back again along with carrying an extra 5 gal can for reserve in case I am out of range of a gas dock. Although cheaper, I am not about to start lugging gas cans to fill up for the small savings on my trips. But I would very much like to have more capacity/distance between fill ups. Another plus is gas at most of the gas docks near me is high test and ethanol free. Thanks for the feedback and happy boating.
Sounds like major PITA factor here. You may never truly be happy until you have a single large tank - do you plan on owning this boat a long time?

I've thought about putting in another build and getting all those "should-woulda-coulda's" addressed, and upon delivery selling the current boat to some desperate buyer. Might take a little loss but based on used values, it may palatable.

So maybe same for you? Put up with the jerry cans for a season and build another with the bigger tank and other upgrades, and be 100% happy going forward?

Back