Fueling Up in HOT Weather - Venting Issue - Side Fill - Above 105 degrees...ish.

LaurencetheAdventurer

Reaction score
I know there are various posts about the venting issues when filling our Benny's gas tank: I had the issue twice last season and again this weekend - during the winter dealer could not find anything on this issue. This is with a Side Fill tank. Ideally this might help others with diagnostics in hot weather:

On day one we arrived late afternoon, it was 113 degrees out, the boat had been sitting in the water for a couple of weeks with 110 degree plus heat. I did not have a chance to fill it up at the prior visit (I try to keep my tank full). I pulled up to my normal dockside station, and could only get 12 gallons on top of the 15 that was already in the 56 gallon tank - the gas was burping (high flow) / draining (low flow) out the fill hole, no matter how slow I filled. So I went out and enjoyed the day.

The next morning I hit the gas station early (it was just under 100 degrees) and no issue - filled it up.

Next day I filled at the end of day (7pm), temperature had dropped from 117 down to about 104 (small monsoon had rolled in). No issue again filling up.

SO - I theorize MY venting / filling issue is related to temperatures in excess of 105 degrees, particularly when the boat has sat and the tank is hot (and probably hot coming out of the pump). Not sure WHY, but seems if the gas is venting excess fumes (from being so hot) the new EPA system is somehow preventing / blocking / slowing my filling ups.

Possibly this expands / offers additional options to into the excellent posts by gnc1017 Sept 4 2018 and Sparetime Jan 10 2022 about Fuel Venting / Fuel Fill problems - plus another half dozen posts. I will continue to monitor and test.

Picture for Fun Factor....

2022-07-17 18.52.11.jpg

Attachments

• 2022-07-17 18.52.11.jpg
    2022-07-17 18.52.11.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Never had any issues filling up either of our pontoon boats. One had a side fill and the other a direct fill in front of the outboard. But then again it's not 113 to 117 degrees either! I remember flying into Vegas when I was younger. The pilot said it's currently 112 degrees! Down from 114 yesterday. But folks it's a dry heat! Whatever!

I remember flying into Vegas when I was younger. The pilot said it's currently 112 degrees! Down from 114 yesterday. But folks it's a dry heat! Whatever!
That was my thoughts on Phoenix as well. Stepping off the plane I said to my wife..."Dry heat my a__, let's just stay on the plane and go back home!"

That was my thoughts on Phoenix as well. Stepping off the plane I said to my wife..."Dry heat my a__, let's just stay on the plane and go back home!"
Ha! I hear ya!

I know there are various posts about the venting issues when filling our Benny's gas tank: I had the issue twice last season and again this weekend - during the winter dealer could not find anything on this issue. This is with a Side Fill tank. Ideally this might help others with diagnostics in hot weather:

On day one we arrived late afternoon, it was 113 degrees out, the boat had been sitting in the water for a couple of weeks with 110 degree plus heat. I did not have a chance to fill it up at the prior visit (I try to keep my tank full). I pulled up to my normal dockside station, and could only get 12 gallons on top of the 15 that was already in the 56 gallon tank - the gas was burping (high flow) / draining (low flow) out the fill hole, no matter how slow I filled. So I went out and enjoyed the day.

The next morning I hit the gas station early (it was just under 100 degrees) and no issue - filled it up.

Next day I filled at the end of day (7pm), temperature had dropped from 117 down to about 104 (small monsoon had rolled in). No issue again filling up.

SO - I theorize MY venting / filling issue is related to temperatures in excess of 105 degrees, particularly when the boat has sat and the tank is hot (and probably hot coming out of the pump). Not sure WHY, but seems if the gas is venting excess fumes (from being so hot) the new EPA system is somehow preventing / blocking / slowing my filling ups.

Possibly this expands / offers additional options to into the excellent posts by gnc1017 Sept 4 2018 and Sparetime Jan 10 2022 about Fuel Venting / Fuel Fill problems - plus another half dozen posts. I will continue to monitor and test.

Picture for Fun Factor....

2022-07-17 18.52.11.jpg

any additional insights? I'm chasing what looks like a vapor locking issue when under power, albeit not temp related... but can't help but notice that i've had the tank at half full or less most of the season, and recently filled to 3/4, and i'm getting fuel flow issues... primer bulb is completely collapsed. boat is new this season, so not a rot issue... feels like something on the venting system is blocked or not working properly...

any additional insights? I'm chasing what looks like a vapor locking issue when under power, albeit not temp related... but can't help but notice that i've had the tank at half full or less most of the season, and recently filled to 3/4, and i'm getting fuel flow issues... primer bulb is completely collapsed. boat is new this season, so not a rot issue... feels like something on the venting system is blocked or not working properly...
Fuel Flow Issues - I think a completely different topic, but: If some type of vapor lock, then removing the gas cap would fix that, but doubtful this is the issue. My 2021 had issues caused by a loose connection with the gas tank that was sucking up air. Otherwise, it may be just a bad fuel pump or clogged filter (based on other posts I have read). Be sure to search this forum and Facebook, Primer Bulb and Fuel Flow and/or the actual issues you are having would be good search terms.

Fuel Flow Issues - I think a completely different topic, but: If some type of vapor lock, then removing the gas cap would fix that, but doubtful this is the issue. My 2021 had issues caused by a loose connection with the gas tank that was sucking up air. Otherwise, it may be just a bad fuel pump or clogged filter (based on other posts I have read). Be sure to search this forum and Facebook, Primer Bulb and Fuel Flow and/or the actual issues you are having would be good search terms.

For others benefit in the future....

If you see the primer bulb sucking in/empty/vacuumed, with engine cutting in/out at higher throttle settings, but fine at lower throttle, it's likely a kinked fuel line. If you have shielding under the deck, it's a royal PITA to find/deal with. Luckily, my dealer came out and fixed it under warranty. said there was just way too much line left in from the tank to the motor after rigging, and it jus worked its way into a kinked position over the first 45 hours..

Back