Funny Fuel Readings - Finally spent a few moments....

LaurencetheAdventurer

Reaction score
My ESP Benny came with a 50 Gallon gas tank. The tank is actually marked 55 gallons. We planned a Sandbar visit, about 60 miles roundtrip - a perfect chance to really take note on my gas gauge and MPG. So I opened the rear access panel, and filled the tank just a sliver below the top of the tank (50 gallons per Simrad - the program "full" level - I figured if nothing else, a bit of a cushion!). We were WOT about 50% of the time, 30mph the rest of the trip (can hear the "toons"). Upon return, my Simrad read 18 gallons left. I refilled the tank using the same method - it took 40 gallons to fill. About 1.5mpg - that agreed with the MPG on the Simrad - 1.2 at WOT, 2.0 at cruse speed (about 30mph). BUT, obviously the Simrad gauge, as others have noted, is really an approximation. 40 gallons to refill + 18 left per Simrad = 58 capacity: that is more gas than the tank holds. Simrad started at 50, 18 at returns = used 32 gallons, but clearly it was 40 gallons to refill. Not really a concern of mine - we are lucky to have lots of gas stops around the lake - but certainly interesting to note! I will have to document more such runs!

Last edited:
Interesting…Are you running a Mercury outboard? If so, try using Vesselview from Mercury for a more accurate reading.

Interesting…Are you running a Mercury outboard? If so, try using Vesselview from Mercury for a more accurate reading.
Yes, Mercury 350 - Good Point! I understand Mercury Vesselview provides Simrad the data. This leaves 4 possible issues: The data feed is wrong, the data reader (Simrad in this case) is wrong, my fuel level reading was wrong (I eyeballed - not expecting such a variance, but I don't think a 1/2" one way or another would make that much difference - but maybe), the gas pump was wrong (I used 2 different pumps at the same location...hmmm).

VesselsView on my engine warned me that I must use it EVERY time to accurately measure gas. I see the reports it generates and I work off that instead.

Back