GAS GUZZLER

WANT NOT A NEED

Reaction score
first off Happy summer time to everyone .

second we have noticed our bennington 2012( gcw with sho vmax yamaha engine and sport lifting strakes) SUCKS gas. is this a standard or are there things we can do to improve gas mileage on this. If we fill this up we last maybe 4 hours pulling the kids around on the tube.

How big is your tank?

And how big is the motor? Maybe all SHO Vmax Yamamotors are the same HP, but I have no clue what that would be.

I can tell you our 115 burns 5.9 gallons per hour tubing. It should be no surprise to anyone here that I actually know that to the tenth of a gallon. I'm guessing half of you know it for your setup too. That drains my 24 gallon tank dry in just 3 hours using Canadian math. Someone told me it was pick on Derrick day again.

Looking at a number of Merc test reports, I'm thinking the new 150 will burn the same amount of gas, but not breath as hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 250 SHO and she is a thirsty thing. But when I'm alone I tend to go fast just because I can. I have not done the math, but I do know driving for a couple hours doing a little tubing I can burn a 1/2 tank, but I figured this going into it (55 gal tank) 2375 GCW.

How's that prop working for you? I'm going to get the saltwater series II for now and see how it goes

Working good. I have all the gear necessary for 17 people, fenders, ropes, anchors, 2 tubes, a giant flotation for 6 people, and I still get 48 by myself, 45 with 4 on board and with 7 on board pulling a tube I hit 40 (the tuber had to cover his face from the spray). I have yet to get glass conditions, always in choppy water. When I hit 48 I start porposing, and I have not had enough time to see if it will power through it or if I'm at the limit. I LAUNCHED across a giant wake from a cabin cruiser, the daughter flew in the air, landed in her seat and yelled, DADDY, DO THAT AGAIN!!!! The wife... Not so much.

As long as we're not skiing and constantly slamming the throttle down......gas mileage is not bad. We'll cruise around at a decent 30/35 MPH if we have somewhere to go but we very rarely go WOT. There's really no need to.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back