Gas leaking while filling 2015 Bennington 24 SSRX diagnosed. Help identify fuel fill fitting

Madfishwillie

Reaction score
Guys,

Today I diagnosed the cause for fuel to leak when filling the gas tank. (see pics)

The 1 1/2" main fill hose connects the filler neck to the tank. There's also a smaller 1/4" i.d. hose attached to the filler neck. That smaller hose routes back to the top of the center pontoon and has nothing attached to it. When I fill the boat, fuel dumps out of the smaller hose. Is this a vent hose? If it is, it's not venting, it's pouring gas out while filling at the gas station. (It has the carbon filter type hardware)

If you look at the third pic, you'll see the inside of the filler neck with a "pitot" tube looking thing with an angle cut facing the incoming fuel flow when filling, that's attached to the smaller 1/4" hose which is open on the end way back under the center pontoon. Should this little fitting/tube inside the filler neck be rotated 180 degrees? Its catching incoming fuel and dumping down the line.

I've tried to find this filler neck on the internet for a diagram but haven't had any luck. Does anyone know who makes it or why fuel is dumping out of this hose?

Thanks…Nate

Attachments

• 20221128_172308.jpg
    20221128_172308.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20221128_172333.jpg
    20221128_172333.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20221129_170434.jpg
    20221129_170434.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 36
Hard to tell - could be either a fuel overfill return (gas can drain back to tank) or a vent that allows fuel vapors from the tank to be captured/sucked back in by the fuel pump. In either case it should be connected to something! I would think back to tank.

Bennington's have used an Eviro-fill / Ameri kart product in the past and maybe still do to meet EPA regs. One of the diagrams below shows a hose (red) in the general vicinity of your problem hose, but it's labeled "pressure transfer hose".

In either event sounds like a major issue - you may want to reach out to Bennington direct and ask for an engineer to give you technical guidance or work with a local dealer.

Good luck!

EC2E2DD0-1489-4090-B741-02E8A24A1DDD.jpeg

Plug the hose back into the level sensing port on the gas tank. I had to deal with that pressure sensing hose when I removed everything down the center of my pontoon boat. Because my replacement tank did not have a sensing port I had rotate the pitot tube just like you are thinking of doing. In your case don’t do that in order to retain the more environmentally friendly fuel filler shut off. More detail is found in my reply to a related post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

Today I diagnosed the cause for fuel to leak when filling the gas tank. (see pics)

The 1 1/2" main fill hose connects the filler neck to the tank. There's also a smaller 1/4" i.d. hose attached to the filler neck. That smaller hose routes back to the top of the center pontoon and has nothing attached to it. When I fill the boat, fuel dumps out of the smaller hose. Is this a vent hose? If it is, it's not venting, it's pouring gas out while filling at the gas station. (It has the carbon filter type hardware)

If you look at the third pic, you'll see the inside of the filler neck with a "pitot" tube looking thing with an angle cut facing the incoming fuel flow when filling, that's attached to the smaller 1/4" hose which is open on the end way back under the center pontoon. Should this little fitting/tube inside the filler neck be rotated 180 degrees? Its catching incoming fuel and dumping down the line.

I've tried to find this filler neck on the internet for a diagram but haven't had any luck. Does anyone know who makes it or why fuel is dumping out of this hose?

Thanks…Nate
I have the same problem. Any ideas how to fix this?

I have the same problem. Any ideas how to fix this?
Sorry for this late reply. If indeed your 1/4” hose has become disconnected from the fuel tank it needs to be reconnected. With the hose disconnect from the tank you may end up with water intrusion in the tank. In addition you may interfere with the original purpose of the hose. The hose is part of a system that shuts off the gas fill nozzle when the tank is near full. Attached is a photo of the complex gas fill receptacle that was mounted on the side of my new boat. During boat modification I replaced this finicky fill assembly with simple direct fill assemblies on twin tanks.

Attachments

• IMG_9708.jpeg
    IMG_9708.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 16
Sorry for this late reply. If indeed your 1/4” hose has become disconnected from the fuel tank it needs to be reconnected. With the hose disconnect from the tank you may end up with water intrusion in the tank. In addition you may interfere with the original purpose of the hose. The hose is part of a system that shuts off the gas fill nozzle when the tank is near full. Attached is a photo of the complex gas fill receptacle that was mounted on the side of my new boat. During boat modification I replaced this finicky fill assembly with simple direct fill assemblies on twin tanks.
Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the 1/4" hose. Everything looked intact and it seems that a check valve has flipped 180 degrees. I have an appointment August 7 with a dealer. I'll post what was found.

Back