Gas Problem

Railmonkey

Reaction score
First weekend with the boat, went to fill up at the local marina and for the life of me couldn't get gas in the tank, got maybe 7 gallons which let me use the boat for the day. Tried everything but gas kept overflowing into the water. The nozzle just fit in the tank and splashed everywhere. Next day had to try again as I was on empty, same problem, tried with a funnel but no luck. I paid the three dollar gas bill as that was all I could get in. Luckily there was another pump nearby at another station and it had a thinner nozzle and I was able to get 38 gallons in, but what a pain. Can't imagine what others would do if in the same position and did not have an alternative pump nearby.

I and others as well have had the same problem (noted on this forum).   I found that the position of the nozzle makes a big difference in pumping gasoline into mine. 

Are you saying the nozzle just doesn't fit properly or it kept spitting back at you? What model boat and tank type? There's been threads in the past about the vent hose routing and it creating a "p" trap that won't allow fuel to be dispensed properly into the filler neck.

Last edited by a moderator:
My last boat had the same problem, I could fill up at a regular gas station, but it was painful at the Marina.  I found for the first minute I had to slowly introduce gas into the boat, I would stop the handle when I could hear it was going to spit back.  After about a minute of this I could pump at the normal rate.  I just figured my vent wasn't working properly and it would somehow clear itself, it would do it almost every time.

Thanks, my boat is the Q series. I had that funnel in my kit with the manual but I thought that was for the two stroke oil. The article explains it well and I will keep that with the boat. I hate splashing gas into the water - thanks again

Mine does the same thing.  I can put about 12 gallons in when empty then I have to baby it the rest of the way.  

Dealer can fix it. I had the same challenge. They did somthing, works like a dream. Only problem I had after they fixed it was at the docks...it filed up too fast. I did not have time to "talk" to the dock girls... *sigh*

Going to revive this thread...I have filled my 2016 that has the long filler neck and had the splash back problem. I noticed I could unscrew the entire cap and just fill thru the big 2" hole. When pulling out the entire assembly I noticed the little spring flap on the end and just pulled it off before replacing the neck and cap. Not sure if its an anti siphon deal or what, but I don't see how this could cause any problems with filling but what do you guys think?

Photos? So you removed a piece of hardware? Why?

It's at the very end of the fill neck. Every time I tried to fill the boat it would splash back and I couldn't fill it unless I unscrewed the entire gas cap/ neck assembly and filled thru the big hole.I could always snap it back on if this causes harm or it doesn't help. just seeing if anyone knows about it .

I've never seen that piece before but it looks like the spring side goes down to the tank, and the presence of the fuel can/pump opens the flap in towards the tank. Remove the fuel can/pump and it self closes. Based on how it looks there it appears that it is over closing. I don't think it goes the other way based on the hinge design. I could be wrong though and hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. I'm just a cold Michigander with bad spring fever!

That cap does seem to be something new, don't remember anyone ever pointing that out before.  A few years ago there was a problem with gas expanding in the heat or being churned up and leaking out the gas cap, I wonder about the possibility of this was a fix on the newer boats to protect against that

I've never seen that piece before but it looks like the spring side goes down to the tank, and the presence of the fuel can/pump opens the flap in towards the tank. Remove the fuel can/pump and it self closes. Based on how it looks there it appears that it is over closing. I don't think it goes the other way based on the hinge design. I could be wrong though and hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. I'm just a cold Michigander with bad spring fever!
Yeah its upside down in the picture. I just wanted to show the hinged side. I'm pretty sure you are right about how it works but let me tell you my shoes say otherwise lol. That fuel shoots back quickly... The first time we ever filled it, it worked. then the next time it kept spraying back. And this was using the same exact pump. I don't see it being a siphon thing bc the actual cap doesn't lock and the entire neck can be taken out by hand.

I understand that there is a sensor that activates when the vent or the charcoal air filter is not working correctly.
I pulled off the air charcoal (EPA made them do this)
I see the little silver thigamajig about 6 in down the fuel opening that I had never noticed before that has to be stopping the complete flow of gas down the neck and into the tank.

But there has to be a way to reset it so it flaps back down.
My Bennington is still under warranty and the dealer I got it from tells me it will be 4 1/2 wks before I get it back.
That ain't gonna happen.
Seems fairly simple to cure. Need advice

I find if I turn the gas fill handle about 90 degrees, it works much better. We always had the issue and had to fill very slowly until a guy up at one of the marinas on Lake Travis showed us the trick.

Thanks Drago, however I tried that.
There is a small metal oval shaped price, about the size of a nail but oval shaped that sits right in the middle of the neck about 6 in down, that from what I understand is a lsensor that something is wrong and does not want To vent properly.
Has nothing to do with the motor.
It is an Enviro-Fil product.
I've cleared all the vents but I cannot reset the sensor.
Does anyone out there know what I'm talking about?

Back