Go from 150hp to 250hp?

Jeffrey

Reaction score
So if I can get my 25ft Benny up to 34mph with just me and 22mph with 9 people on it with a 150hp, what would I reasonably be able to expect for extra speed if I upgraded to a 250hp?

It is more than the just the hp of your engine. Prop size and pitch, tube configuration and water conditions also impact your speed.

I would think 42-45 top and hang around 38-40 with a group of people.

I would think 42-45 top and hang around 38-40 with a group of people.
I think these are realistic numbers , maybe a little lower when loaded, depending on how big the people are who make up the 9! Might be more to the 35 number since it is a 25' vs my old 22'

What model Bennington is your boat Jeffrey as a Q is quite a bit heavier than a G however the speeds listed above would be my estimate as well

What does your tag say for max HP ?
Do you have an ESP or SPS plus ?

I've got a GCW 2574 ESP 250 Verado 15.6X13 SS Enertia that will do 40 MPH (6400 RPM) with about 45 gallons of gas, 10 gallons of water, a couple of adults and a couple of children plus gear. When I really load it up (12 people) it still will do around 35 so there is little drop off. While I think I might be able to get a bit more speed by increasing my pitch, I'm pretty happy with the overall performance of the boat. And because of the wind, I don't spend much time at WOT anyway!

What I think you'll really achieve is better performance under heavier loads and perhaps an increase in your gas mileage (but don't hold me to that).

You also need to remember there’s multiple variations of a “250hp” motor and those differences will affect the performance accordingly.

Back