Green Goo

Butchkid

Reaction score
I went out to the boat today to unplug it the charger. The dealer suggested that even though there is a trickle charger on it, it still shouldn't be plugged in non stop all winter. They told me to only plug it in every 4 weeks while it sits for the winter and let it charge for a week. While I was there I put dryer sheets in all of the compartments, and stored my table under the privacy area. It fit nicely face down and the privacy screen helps to hold it in place.

gallery_82_73_112861.jpg

While I was there, I also noticed a green goo in the bottom of the engine compartment. The only thing that I think it might be is the Gear Lube but as you can see by the picture that is still full. I went to the dealer and they suggested that I use a shop vac to clean it out, and then see if it comes back. If it does then bring it in. It's possible that when they winterized it the boat was sitting so that fluids flowed to the front, and then when I stored it the boat is sitting so that the fluids flow to the back and now I see it. If they used simple green or something like that it could have collected in there. Hopefully it is nothing, and the shop vac will eliminate the problem.

See the green goo?

gallery_82_73_155967.jpg

The Gear Lube bottle on the right looks full.

gallery_82_73_30971.jpg

Am I the only one thinking that looks a lot like anti-freeze?

Nope. Anti-freeze here too.

andy

sure looks like antifreeze, did your dealer winterize it for you? If so, ask them if they used green antifreeze, and why they didn't clean up their mess before giving it back!

Yes, It looks like antifreeze, that's not a bad thing. It could be from a loose hose or a engine block drain. When the boat was move from one area to another, antifreeze could have spilled out or the person winterizing could have had spilled it in the engine comprtment area, which is not a bad thing if you had any water standing there it could freeze and expand. The boat should be summerized or flushed before going in the lake, then you will know if anything is open then.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the liscence plate on the Airtstream say "LUV JUG"? :lol:

Does the liscence plate on the Airtstream say "LUV JUG"? :lol:
LOL. Yes. Yes it does. That's too funny.

I went to the boat today and took my shop vac. I cleaned it all out and dried as much of it as I could reach. It was very oily so I think it was just left over from the Gear Lube repair. I had to empty the shop vac 3x so they must have washed the leaking oil off the engine. The guy who worked on it wasn't working so they were just guessing as to what happened.

I often check spots I find on concrete under vehicles to see what might be leaking. A lot of times, there's not enough to judge the color. I press on the spot with a finger, then rub my finger and thumb for a few seconds. If it drys up and goes away, it's water or antifreeze. If it stays oily, well, it's oil.

Or you can taste it. If its sweet, its antifreeze.

I think I should clarify something, at the risk of being a downer...

If it IS anti-freeze, the first thing to do is to ascertain whether it's spillage or has come from inside the engine's coolant system.

I'll go one further. Why on earth is your service guy using the green coolant? There are plenty of earth-friendly products. The pink is not best for engines (rather water lines, etc.) but the blue stuff is much better on the environment, your pets and the lakes.

I think I'd be asking some tough questions and possibly looking for a more competent service guy.

Happy New Year!

I don't know if I care about the environment. I won't be around anyway, and these young folks are annoying. ;)

I'd have to agree with Randy, there are a lot better alternatives to automotive antifreeze. As far as the reason why it is in the hull, most likely the service person left the drain plugs out of their respective holes, and some has leaked out during transport. Gee, Eric, who's to say you won't be around, given your God has anger issues, maybe he [she?] will make you stay around to keep those kids in line :D

Me thinks Eric's wit was misinterpreted. :rolleyes: :D

That what I get for stealing someone else's jokes.

Back