Help me make my boat better!! :)

BulldogsCadillac

Just some guy
Reaction score
Hi, I am at a bit of a crossroad. I have a 2 toon 2009 2075 GLi, with a 90hp Yamaha. We wanted a tri-toon originally, but the wallet said no at the time, and since I had never driven a boat, owned a boat, it was a big investment for something to "try and see if we liked it" . Well, we do! We had looked at Sea-doo sport boats, but decided on the pontoon idea because we have to big dogs, who don't actually like the water, but thankfully LOVE the boat! So we wanted something comfortable for them. Now the reason I mentioned the sea-doo boat is because we still like something with some zip to it. I find that my current setup works good for the lake, cruising around, pulling a tube/kneeboarder, but I wanna dump them!! Haha

So here is my dilemma, is it worth adding the express toon pkg, the hydraulic steering, and then upgrading the motor to the 150, or do I just suck it up and stick with what I have for a few more years, and trade in for a boat that has all that? Keeping in mind, I do really like the size, would go maybe 22 ft, like the layout(although am intrigued by the rear facing loungers, but wonder about loss of storage), and love the overall look of the boat.

I already spoke to my dealer about the express tube and she said it was $1800, don't know about install, and I wonder if the hydraulic will make a big enough difference to bother. Right now by the end of a day of tubing, the ole left arm has had quite a workout!! :)

Any and all thoughts are much appreciated!

Derrick

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert but Id think you'd be better off to upgrade to a boat with ESP and a larger motor. I dont believe adding the Express tube would give you near the handling of the ESP anyway. I think youd get a better ROI on the new boat when it comes time to sell or trade.

We're going from an 1850GL to a 2275GCW and I dont think that there is really much difference in overall storage space, but you are coming from a 20' so there may be some difference there. There is always the in-tube storage option, which we ordered, that I hear gives you a ton of additional storage.

As for the storage thing, I wonder if someone with the rear loungers could snap a pic of them open to see how much room is under them? The thing I like about my layout is all the storage you get under the rear sundeck, I sometimes have 2 tubes (deflated mostly) and a kneeboard, and sometimes our little BBQ.

As far as storage under the rear loungers, mine has none. I have a 2250gcw. The starboard side has the changing room flip up which folds under the seat top when down. I guess you could get some very small stuff in there. I have the porta potty under mine. The port side is taken up by the fuel tank and battery. Again,'mine is a 2250gcw not the 2275gcw and I do not what the difference is. Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

We are ordering our 2275GCW without the changing room and thinking about going to the center tub fuel tank. By doing both options you would open up the area under both rear loungers, except for the battery.

My guess is the labor costs on adding a third tube would put you well into the realm of considering a new boat.

The $1800 covers the 3rd toon installed at the factory during original construction. They probably weld it onto the frame prior to adding the deck, carpet and furniture. Adding a third pontoon to a boat that's already built would have to cost a ton of money. Granted, I really don't know the answer on that, that's just how it hits me. It may not be possible to add a third toon without tearing the boat apart down to the frame.

But, say it is, are you planning to take the boat back to the factory for them to do this work? Then go pick it up a month later? Will they even do this for you? I doubt the dealer could do this kind of work (just off the assumption a dealer doesn't build boats, and welding aluminum is a specialized skill). I don't have a Bennington myself yet, but I've looked under several and I'm pretty certain they are welded to the frame in a complex sort of way. If I remember right, there are four connection points to the frame all along the length of the tube, and it doesn't seem there would be enough room to do this kind of work once the boat is already built without tearing it down.

You should check into this more with the factory directly. What you are considering may not even be feasible, and that would make your decision easy.

You could have strakes welded onto your existing pontoons. This may not get you the performance you want, just a thought in case you haven't considered the idea.

Actually, the tubes are only bolted to the frame. Nowhere is it welded, and the holes are already pre-drilled in the frames/cross members. I just went out and looked. Even the transom is bolted on. I guess that way they can 'mass produce' the cross beams and just add in the options you requested. As far as I can tell.

I stand corrected. I went back and looked at some pictures I snapped of the underside of a 22SSL and after zooming in, I can definitely see the bolt heads. Looks like you do have a viable option after all.

Which makes me think: Since they bolt on, spend the $1800 now, get JUST the center tube (no motor or steering upgrade) and see what it does to your 90HP's performance. If that's still not enough, take it back off and transfer it to your new boat when you trade the old one in. In that sense, trying it out would essentially be "free" since you'd spend $1800 on the center tube either way. Just a thought.

Agh, but if I bought a new boat, I would probably try to somehow afford the ESP pkg, might not be able to eat for a while, but hey we all have to make sacrifices I figure.

1. Adding a thrid toon to a boat with a 90 hp motor may result in a loss of speed. I don't believe the increase in buoyancy would off set the increase in weight.

2 Adding strakes would not help. You need at least 115 hp to take advantage of strakes. Some people believe you need 150 hp.

Would adding a thrid toon, strakes and a 150 with hydraulic steering work. It might.

When I bought my first boat many years ago I went through the same process as you. I didn't want to spend alot of money to end up having a lawn ornament. After spending alot of money trying to turn a sows ear into a silk purse we ended up selling our first boat and buying a boat that would meet our needs. Yes, we took alittle bit of a loss but the years of enjoyment were well worth it.

Now that you know what you like have you considered selling your boat. Bennington are known for having good resell value. You may have to wait until spring to get top dollar. Slow down, Take your time, test drive some differant set ups, and enjoy.

If you want to get a third toon, www.greatlakesskipper.com has leftover and salvage marine equipment. I have seen several new logs listed here, with and without strakes. Take a look. More money than it would be worth in my opinion, because it still would not be an engineered package. I am sure there are more pitfalls than you can even dream up.

Have you considered upgrading your prop? Maybe with a just a bit more speed you'd be able to dump those tubers! Yamaha has a line of stainless "pontoon performance" props which should buy you some increase in speed, especially in the turns.

I wish I had some better information on what the performance increase would be, as I'm in a similar situation as yourself.

I'm considering getting a yamaha stainless pontoon prop myself (13 pitch, 14" diameter), to replace my aluminum prop (13" pitch, 13 5/8 diameter). I'd gladly spend the ~$400 if I knew I'd get at least an additional 2mph. At WOT, my F75 rpm is just over 6000, so I think it could spin the larger diameter prop.

Bulldog,

I think Boomer makes some great points in his post. I have purchased some boats and cars in the past and tried to "modify" them with limited success. Often you spend more than you should without getting the desired results. Used Benningtons for sale that are in good shape don't last long in our area. My opinion is to enjoy what you have and then upgrade to the boat and options of your choice when you can.

I agree, those are some good points. I guess I should try to take a look at the two options, new/upgrade, see what the $$$ says to me! Although, another thought on the express tube, not to be deceiving of anyone, but if I do go to sell privately, the average consumer won't know the diff between an express pkg or standard pkg, and regardless, it would still give them an option of a bigger motor down the road. So I would actually get a better return on investment by adding the tube? Hmmm?

Maybe maybe not. Pontoons still out sell Tritoons many times over. You will probably have more potential buyers of a pontoon than a tritoon. :)

Maybe maybe not. Pontoons still out sell Tritoons many times over. You will probably have more potential buyers of a pontoon than a tritoon. :)
I am not sure that is true about potential buyers, I would have gladly bought a used tri toon if a decent one was available. There are a few pontoons out there, but no tri-toons, so I think in the future as more people move from boats to toons as they find out they can be like a boat in performance and skiing, but roomy and do the things a pontoon does, there will be a better used market for a tri-toon. Where my boat is docked, 10 yrs ago it was 2/3rds boats, and the rest small engine pontoons. Now it is 3/4 pontoons, half of which are tri-toons, and only 1/4 boats. Just my observations.

I based my comments from a magazine article that I read stating pontoons are outselling tritoons 7 to 1. I remember when I read the article I was very surprised. I will see if I can find it. On my home lake new pontoons still outnumber tritoons by a very large percentage. I believe this is probably due to the fact that you can buy a pontoon for alot less money than a tritoon.

I also know that in my area used Benningtons 2 or 3 logs are not on the market for very long.

Regarding storage under the pop up. On our 2250 RCW we can fit a large size porta-potty, that is all that fits. There is a height and length limit to that area before it hits the frame of the pop-up. I would estimate that to be appx 30" wide by 10" tall by 30" long free area when the pop-up is closed. All the area is at the very end of the seat. No much space if any available at the middle or front, under the seat/pop up

Looks like you may have already made up your mind on the 115, but that is the only decision I regret on my Bennington purchase. I have the Yamaha 115 on my GL2275, love the boat and it will pull me (200lbs) on a ski with 4 adults on board. I can pull 2 tubes with 4 teenagers and give them a good ride if there is enough traffic on the lake to create some waves, but if the lake is slow it's a boring ride for the kids.

If I had to do it over I would spend the $4K extra and go for the 150, no doubt! I know there is a limit on budget, but face it, you are buying a Bennington so you already understand the value, don't skimp. Will the 115 work, absolutely, but speaking from experience you'll wish you had gone large.

I based my comments from a magazine article that I read stating pontoons are outselling tritoons 7 to 1. I remember when I read the article I was very surprised. I will see if I can find it. On my home lake new pontoons still outnumber tritoons by a very large percentage. I believe this is probably due to the fact that you can buy a pontoon for alot less money than a tritoon.

I also know that in my area used Benningtons 2 or 3 logs are not on the market for very long.
I do not doubt pontoons outsell tritoons. I just feel with so many pontoons out there, a tritoon would be easier to sell used, as there are not gonna be hardly any used ones ones out there, and with the upswing in the toon market, the used tri's will be a hot commodity. And the cost would be why a used one would be so popular with new ones so expensive.

Back