Help with the Swim Ladder

highpond

Reaction score
OK so the new knee is working great. Thanks for the many well wishes.

The next problem, on Tuesday we to Benny out to the lake and went for a swim. That was also enjoyable. The problem came about as I tried to get up the swim ladder. 4 steps.

The new knee didn't want to bend up far enough to get my foot on the bottom rung.  I tried the other leg same problem. Solution, attach a rung at the bottom of the ladder. Sounds easy, not so.

I contacted Bearcat the MFG. and sent pictures hoping that they might be able to fabricate something to give me the extra length I need. haven't heard back yet.

Now in this group of intelligent of Bennington owners I'm hoping someone can give me an idea to extend the ladder. I tried my dealer looking for maybe a thrown away bent ladder that could be worked on but no luck.

I'm now turning to y'all for some type of help

This is square tubing fold down not telescope  I tried to attach a picture but file is too big.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might try a local welder that could create an extension, but I think "liability" might cause a concern. 

Might sound dumb, but how about a rope with a foot loop in it just to get that initial step up or .... http://www.clrmarine.com/Extend_Your_Step.html

What about using a throw device under your butt to sit on? Then maybe once you are in a seated position you can make it work as you will be floating a little more toward the surface. I typically float around on one and do it that way otherwise I would need an 8 step ladder I am so tall.

I looked on the boat builder and did not see any additional options that might work.

Take a tube or a pc of pvc about 6" wide (something that will sink) run the rope through and tie both ends to the bottom of the ladder the length you need it.

Voila another rung added.

Get everyone to stand on the back of the boat all at once. Or better yet, bigger motor! Sink that back end down in the water a bit more. :)

I had a knee replacement late last year. No fun. I think I'd opt for a temporary solution. You'll be bending that knee faster than you think. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back