High Pitch Screeching Noise

mkrail

Reaction score
We have a 2020 Bennington with a Yamaha 150 hp outboard motor and absolutely love it! Last summer we experienced a very high pitch screeching noise when going from forward gear back into neutral. The maddening part is that is doesn't happen consistently. Some days nothing, other days, there it is. It seems to happen when we've run the boat for a bit and the engine has warmed up well. It feels like the motor is not fully disengaging when going into neutral. I'm new to all of this. Took the boat this winter to a reputable, local boat mechanic, and of course he couldn't get the sound to occur. Wondering if anyone has experienced this before, and could maybe provide some advice? Thanks for any help at all-

Welcome, mkrail! How about posting some pictures of your new Benny!

Unfortunately, I can’t help you with your issue but there’s some pretty knowledgeable folks on this site that might have some insight. Good luck!

Never heard of a screeching noise with shifting - grinding yes. When you go from F -> N or R all you're doing is moving the clutch dog gear forward or aft to change direction of the prop rotation.

Easiest place to start is the prop - inspect it and spin it to make sure nothing is rubbing. Then pull it and make sure fishing line isn't wrapped around the shaft trashing your seal and the prop shaft is lubricated. Also check the prop washers and spacers and see if they are the correct ones and if any signs of wear.

I would then have the dealer change the lower unit gear oil to 1) make sure there isn't water in it causing issues and 2) it's at the proper level. If that doesn't help and it's a mechanical shift, they should check the throttle/gear selector cables for proper length. If that still doesn't help I would have them pull the lower unit and inspect all bearings and bushings and look for wear and lubricate.

Of course any squealing could come from the powerhead itself or the driveshaft, but you mention the sound only comes while shifting. But start with the easy stuff and work progressively towards the more complex - in many cases this is also just good maintenance to do on your OB anyhow.

Good luck!

Not sure if this will help others narrow things down, but can you record the sound and post it? That said, Poto knows his stuff! His check list above of things to try could be a great approach.

Back