Horn issues

Chris F

Reaction score
We have had our horn replaced each year and it strips working in less than a month . The build is a G series 2014.I have checked both connections still no horn. A little frustrated.

Either let the dealer replace it again or get one at an auto parts store.

Pull the wires off the switch and join together, this should activate the horn.  If it does your problem could be switch related not horn, if it does not, i would check/re terminate connections at horn,switch,breaker.  If they are female spade connectors remove and squeeze them a little bit with pliers to make a tighter connection.  If you have a multimeter/testlight you can connect this to the horn wiring and look for power when switch is activated.  Also, have some one hold switch while you move the various wires/connectors to try and find a possible bad connection.

I have had the same issue. When I took delivery of my 2275GCW in April, the horn did not work. The dealer and I assumed it to be water in the horn and I took the boat. It got a little better and then within a week it died completely. The dealer replaced the horn on warranty and it worked for a while. Now it is failing again intermittently. The problem (I think) is that the horn is installed up in the starboard side bow just above the pontoon and it catches a lot of spray and wave action. From what I can see, there is no shielding to protect the opening of the horn from catching a mouthful of salt water. 

The problem (I think) is that the horn is installed up in the starboard side bow just above the pontoon and it catches a lot of spray and wave action. From what I can see, there is no shielding to protect the opening of the horn from catching a mouthful of salt water. 

I also think the placement to be odd, although I've not experienced any problems thus far. I know on my bowrider I took a pretty large wave that killed the horn.

I have had the same issue. When I took delivery of my 2275GCW in April, the horn did not work. The dealer and I assumed it to be water in the horn and I took the boat. It got a little better and then within a week it died completely. The dealer replaced the horn on warranty and it worked for a while. Now it is failing again intermittently. The problem (I think) is that the horn is installed up in the starboard side bow just above the pontoon and it catches a lot of spray and wave action. From what I can see, there is no shielding to protect the opening of the horn from catching a mouthful of salt water. 

Ditto on the placement. When my horn failed,and they will because of the poor placement. I actually picked up the horn from the dealer and did some additional painting and rust prevention on the horn before i installed it. I also changed the wire connections to the waterproof style like Bennington uses. Last but not least, my horn opening is pointed down so a mouth full of water will drain out. Like Seaduced, my boat runs in saltwater.

Ours did the same thing, lasting less than a year on a 2015 R series. I recently pulled it off and in looking at the new mounting location on my dealer's new boats (similar models), they now are mounted above the center of the starboard toon rather than on the outside of the toon near the edge of the deck rail.

My dealer gave me a new horn and I moved the bracket to mount it above the toon in a similar location as the new boats I saw. I used the same bracket and just bolted it to the inside instead of the outside of the frame rail, using the same mounting hole. Just needed to drill a small hole through the exterior frame rail for the wire (it was long enough with rerouting), and added some split loom for wire protection through the frame. I think this should protect it much better from spray. Hoping so anyway.

We have had the same problem with the horn on our 2250 GSR.  We are on our third horn and its ready to die to.

We had our horn replaced last year as it quit working late in the season.  Dealer told us it's a common thing due to the placement of the horn.  So far the second one is still working after being replaced......good news is that it's still under warranty for a few more years,

Must be my cheapy S series, my 4 year reminds me constantly that it works! I thought mine was under the helm with the openings on the side??? Wouldn't be the first time I'd be wrong!

Must be my cheapy S series, my 4 year reminds me constantly that it works! I thought mine was under the helm with the openings on the side??? Wouldn't be the first time I'd be wrong!

Yep, my cheapie S series horn is under the helm with a little grill that covers the opening in the side.

Really loud for the operator....

Mine quit working within the first month, but it ended up being the switch itself.

Terminals inside were a bit corroded, cleaned them up a bit and now it works great

My R series horn died the first month.

I have never had any problems with my horn.  Wonder why some do and some don't.  Suspect because I am generally a slow cruiser. 

Are those that have reported horn problems speed guys?

I have never had any problems with my horn.  Wonder why some do and some don't.  Suspect because I am generally a slow cruiser. 

Are those that have reported horn problems speed guys?

Nope ..... Had mine replaced once, and mines sure no speed demon ...  :p

Nope ..... Had mine replaced once, and mines sure no speed demon ...  :p

What do you and others think causes the horn failure then SemperFi

The only thing I can think of is water intrusion, but mine has a cover on it, so I'm thinking it's just a bad batch of horns maybe? It is odd that it seems so many have had issues. Mines a 2011 model year. Wonder what the years are that are prevalent with this? Looks like all years??

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2014 G series and the last horn had a screen like cover....seems like it did not help.

Our horn is in the helm. Wimpy but it still works.

Ours is in the helm and very loud. Startles everyone on board. Sounds like a 99 Buick lesabre when I hit it.

I've never hit a 99 Buick lesabre. What does it sound like? ;)

I never had challenges with the horn on the boat.

Back