Hour Gauge different than actual motor hours

ggiedd

Reaction score
I purchased a 2011 Bennington a month ago. It had 43 hours on the gauge. When I asked about the low hours they said it must have just been setting up over the years and not being used. Well I took it in to get a motor checkup, oil, etc. and they came back and told me the motor showed over 500 hrs.
Is this common? I feel cheated for buying it with that many hours now. I have a message in to the seller now, but honestly I dont expect any reimbursement. Still love the boat but not happy right now. Just venting I guess. Thanks

Has the gauge been replaced ?

I would assume so, but just got off the phone with the guy I purchased from and he said he had no idea it had over 500 hrs. So he was not informed if the gauge was replaced or not. He is a part time dealer and just buys and sells. He wants to make it right, but I have no idea what the financial difference would be between 50 and 500 hours on a motor. I Know that if I had known it had that many hours, I probably would have passed on the boat.

Check with a Bennington dealer in your area ,they can give you an idea .

Well the boat and engine must have been well maintained and serviced to pass for only 50 hours. Were you able to scan the entire history the engine ECU software allows? You didn't say what horsepower engine you had, but maintained properly, these engines can go 2500 hours easily. What ever that is worth.

It was in great shape for the years. The mechanic didnt go into details other than the hours that was actually on it. It's a mercury 115hp. I just ogt off the phone with the dealer I bought it from and he is sending me a check for $1k to make me happy. It's still probably a good deal even with the hours but I probably would have passed just seeing 500 hrs. lol

Not to muddy the waters. If you are happy with the boat, and overall got a good deal either way, then cool beans. If not, you could check your state’s laws. I wonder if there is legal recourse for return and money back on that one given disparity in hours. Not sure if your state requires anything of resellers on verifying motor hours (which as your mechanic did, is doable on modern motors).

Makes me think of that old adage. If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn’t. A 2011 with 50 hours just doesn’t pass the smell test for me to begin with.

I hear ya. I was told that it had set up in dry storage for most of its time. At least thats what the dealer thought. But all good. He is making it right with me and I've already put too much gear into the boat to return it. His offer will pay for the service I had done. lol. I am happy. :)

Did your dealer perform the appropriate service for a 500 hr motor ?

How do you know the maintenance was performed, given their "error" on the engine hours? Do you honestly believe the dealer didn't do their due diligence when they bought this from the previous owner?

I think you are being very accommodating to the seller, but if you are happy with the deal that's all that matters. Just keep in mind there is a big difference between a 50 and 500hr engine, and if it were me $1K wouldn't come close to proper compensation. A new Merc 115 is probably $11-12K not including cost of rigging.

Last edited:
I would want my money back and start looking for a different boat. You got SCREWED!

The boat is in great shape and looks like it might be a year old. For a 2011 to be in that good of shape, it has been well maintained I believe. Maybe I am naive, probably. I have tried to find another boat with the same setup to compare prices but everything I found was at least $10k more than what I paid.
Mercury motors should last longer than 500 hrs so not too worried, but disappointed, yes. Right?
Guy I bought it from did nothing to it as far as I know. He even offered to take it back and refund the whole amount. But after installing a new Garmin, new radio, I didnt want to go through that hassle of pulling it back out. Plus another $1k on service( oil, plugs, etc) and delivery. The mechanic I hired to do the service said it looked good. He is known to be picky so if something was wrong, he would have told me what needed to be fixed.
I dont think I got screwed, just disappointed. But still love the boat.

I would have to agree with Illinois. I would request a refund based on the false information/advertising that was given to you! Big Big difference between 50 hrs and 500 hrs! It's like buying a car with 5000 miles on it then finding out it really has 50000 miles! Get your money back! Like what Vikingstaff said there must be some kind of stipulation/legal recourse on cases like this!
I purchased a 2011 Bennington a month ago. It had 43 hours on the gauge. When I asked about the low hours they said it must have just been setting up over the years and not being used. Well I took it in to get a motor checkup, oil, etc. and they came back and told me the motor showed over 500 hrs.
Is this common? I feel cheated for buying it with that many hours now. I have a message in to the seller now, but honestly I dont expect any reimbursement. Still love the boat but not happy right now. Just venting I guess. Thanks

All that matters is that You are happy with your purchase .
The boat is in great shape and looks like it might be a year old. For a 2011 to be in that good of shape, it has been well maintained I believe. Maybe I am naive, probably. I have tried to find another boat with the same setup to compare prices but everything I found was at least $10k more than what I paid.
Mercury motors should last longer than 500 hrs so not too worried, but disappointed, yes. Right?
Guy I bought it from did nothing to it as far as I know. He even offered to take it back and refund the whole amount. But after installing a new Garmin, new radio, I didnt want to go through that hassle of pulling it back out. Plus another $1k on service( oil, plugs, etc) and delivery. The mechanic I hired to do the service said it looked good. He is known to be picky so if something was wrong, he would have told me what needed to be fixed.
I dont think I got screwed, just disappointed. But still love the boat.

You didn't mention the Impeller ,do you know if it was changed ?

It sound like you worked it out with seller. Sounds like they offered to step up and offer full refund, but you were comfortable with the deal you got, condition of boat, and the additional $1k back. I hope it turns out to be a great pontoon for you. Our neighbor has a 20+ year old Bennington in great shape. Still running strong! He has flirted with the idea of selling and getting something newer for 7 years, but his current Bennington meets all their needs, and their lake time has decreased significantly in recent years. If well maintained and cared for, they can last a very long time - boats & motors!

Okay, here’s another take on the subject: I wouldn’t be thrilled to find out that the hours were not accurate. However, I probably would have passed on the boat with the original 50 hour usage. I’m not a big fan of things that sit for extended periods of time. Rust, corrosion and dry rot come to mind. As fitz stated above, 38 hours a year on average is on the lower side, but enough to be healthy for that engine IMO.

Enjoy it and just keep up on service.

Back