How do I remove the upholstery fabric?

HotTommy

Reaction score
I have a 2006 pontoon that is in need of new fabric for the seats. I've separated the components from the rail, deck and each other. I'd like to remove the covers and take them to a shop to have new covers sewn up. My challenge is that I can't see where to begin to remove the covers without damaging them. It appears that there is one large piece that covers the back and sides. If I could remove it, I could access the fasteners I assume are there to secure the back cushions. I'd like advice on how to proceed from someone who has actually done this or seen it done.

I'm pretty sure the material is stapled on. Take some photos and post here and/or scour YouTube for examples of upholstery removal for ideas. They may be locked in with a pin that requires you to lift up and out to pop them off - some on here have done this (search around - someone completely rebuilt their boat from the decking up).

You may have luck with a magic eraser or another type of cleaner if there's mildew and/or marks that are forcing you to look at replacement - of course if it's just faded or torn there's no way to clean that back to new.

Good luck!

Will the shop that will be doing the work for you remove them?!?

Back