how fast should i go

boattooner

Reaction score
I have a 2577 tritoon with stakes on inside not out. it has a 225 mercury and almost all options on it.my dealer is an idiot and has been very untruthful. i have the 25 inch transom,big center eliptical.i cannot get this thing past 35 mph. i have tried every prop out there including 5 blades. i was told this boat would run 45 no problem.it sucks fuel bad but the motor checks out fine. the motor is down all the way in holes. the cav plate is still above the bottom of elliptical.does this need a jackplate now to lower it correctly. what the heck is goin on here or what can i do. if the lake went to the dealer i would drive this through his front showroom. please help i dont want to choose playcraft for performance thats why i chose this boat.again 225 merc four stroke,2577 rfs,dual tops,even has fridge,red in color but dont matter,im just at a loss and for 60k im sick of being lied too. also its just not my dealer i called others and have been told the same

Well, let's start with where you are.

What prop do you have on there and what RPM do you pull at full throttle?

Does your motor have a short shaft, by chance? It sounds like you need to be biting in cleaner water. Pester the dealer until he does something. If that fails, give BM a shout; maybe they can lean on your dealer. Have you filled out your buyer's survey yet? That may provide you with some leverage.

Whatever you do, give the selling dealer the opportunity to make things right. But don't settle for 35. That's not right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so far. I now have a 17 pitch prop on it and my rpm is 5700. When I go with what came on it it bounces the rev limited and still the mph stays the same. Yes it has the esp package but I don't have the outer lifting strakes they are on the inside just not on the out side. The motor is 25 inch shaft. But the cavitation plate is about 2 to 3 inches above center elliptical. Thanks for everyone so far helping.

You say you have a 17 pitch prop on it, but could you tell us what diameter it is? How many blades? Stainless of Aluminum?

It's a mirage I don't know diameter. All props tried where small and large diameter. All are stainless Thx

to me the 225 on a 25 foot loaded boat is the problem. If you wanted speed you should have opted for a 250 or whatever the largest rated for the boat is. The esp package is not built for speed its built for manuverability and a monohull style performance, if its speed you want the standard triple tube with strakes on both sides of all 3 tubes or twin tube elipticle is the way you should have gone.

Just being brutally honest from experience of having had a standard tripple tube and now owning an esp boat with the same motor swapped over I am about 5-8 mph slower and around 4-600 rpms lower but accept it because the boat is way heavier.

I appreciate that wild. But again here's the deal my salesman and the service people said this will run its butt off. I got out of high performance boats and into these for family reasons. One of my last boats was a 390 weekendwr from velocity. It had twin blown 502. I will buoyed my salesman now. " this 225 is really 255 horsepower they underrate them for boats that can only have 225 on them. It will make this boat do 45 loaded no problem". So as far as I can tell he lied. And what I have been told!!! Hopefully you se my side and why I'm mad. I did decide I'm going to put a jackplate on to get motor down and in the clean water. Now if this don't work I will sell it. But I'm not going to playcraft yet as I seen a new bennington that has a 496 with a whipple charger on it that made 700 HP and that may ne what is in my future.

Have you checked the Merc web site ( engine test section ) to see what kind of performance they are getting with there motors on pontoons. I know when I purchased my bost the salesman told me easy 40 mph. When I checked the Yamaha web site I saw 37. So when I bought my boat I got 37 - 38 which was exactly what I expected. I learned long ago to do my own research and not trust what some salesman told me. Oh by the way I'm in sales myself. A jack plate might get you a couple mph more but not sure if you will ever see more than 40 mph

Info just as a reference, My best friend has a 25 foot Tahoe built by Avalon. His is the sport and fish model and is a tripple tube with strakes all around, he has a 200 merc 2 stroke with an engine jack and stainless prop of what specs I am unsure but he has tuned to the best of 38-42 in light load no wind bimini down conditions. so to my last post I am not sure you will see much over 40 even with a 225-250 hp rated engine on a 25 foot esp. Your dealer stretched the story a wee bit as you already know, I agree with the above post that a jack will be of minimal gain plus even more added weight.

Sounds like you would like speed over handling performance so you should go with a standard fully straked triple tube versus an esp boat.

Personally I don't think you could give me back my 07 benny tripple tube after experencing the overall ride, handling and cornering capabilities of the esp boat.

BTW what Hp engine is the 25 foot esp benny rated for?

I beleive a 25 ft with ESP is rated for 350 hp. That setup would get you too 50 mph+ :eek: Maybe your dealer would let you trade your 225 for a 350 Yamaha.

I would have to agree with the above post ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I will look into that. Also got jackplate on. I will get it wet tomorrow and post. Thx everyone

41 miles an HR today. 6000 rpm half tank and dammiy 100 degrees already. Thx everyone. If I did keep it I will go for a 350. Or have you seen the outboard called seven its awesome. Look it up.

I just found this forum...The Bennington we have is test boat used/listed/pictured under the Yamaha 350 performance specs on the Yamaha web-site. The boat was originaly purchased w/a 250 and traded up for the 350. The salesman claimed 50 mph plus with the 250, "no way". The 350 sees 56 plus, GPS....There is probably another 5-6 MPH to be had. One noteable found: the center tube developed a "Hook". The problem has been solved, but that hook did scrub speed, deter ride and effect handling.

The boat rides on a Road Runner trailer, I designed. Several features were designed in, such as loading assist, CG location, brakes, coupler, frame, tie downs, steps and etc.

This is our first Pontoon...The pontoon was added to a couple other boat toys. We have a 28' Skater w/2 ea. 300 X, Mercury and a pristine 35 Motion. The Skater will run 120, the Motion will run over 150. Some of you may have seen the Motion build, to pristine on www.offshoreonly.com. The gooseneck, dual tandem, trailer under the Motion is one of our designs.

The Fast cats are fun, the pontoon is a ball...The "Guy" has his new cruiser that just cost him several hundred thousand...(Two engines, etc., etc.) His family, buddies and their family, on board, all look at the Bennington with contempt. Thirty MPH or there abouts, the pontoon struggles along. Well, it's now time to add a little power and get this new cruiser down the lake. "But wait", the dumb pontoon is still there....FULL POWER, can't have that !!!

Then the pontoon decides to "GO ON". The new cruiser owner will not even look as the Bennington "smokes the cruiser". The poor guy is frustrated, being chastised by his lady and friends, while this "Thing" ruins his day. (That happened several times and the reaction is always the same).

Good post Cc. I have a little fun on our lake when running by some ski boats. They initially try to keep up but then turn away to avoid embarrassment.

The owner's son took me for a ride on the first Yamaha 350 equipped ESP Q-ship that they got into stock a couple of years ago. (time flies)

We went out on the lake and he ran literal circles around some guy on a jet ski.

And when I say he ran literal circle, I mean he went around and around the guy in a circle.

Jet ski guy was annoyed.

BTW, 50mph on a 250hp 25 foot tri-toon is done every day. You simply need the right prop, decent water and the correct mounting height; which is why so may guys with that combo use jack plates.

ericsher, Thanks for the info....I stand corrected, w/the 250 we "Did" get over 50....Behind the pickup !! LOL

BTW, what are best numbers for the 300's and 350 ??? With or without a jack plate ? Propped and tuned to run.

I haven't kept up. I used to talk to a bunch of guys over at PDB a few years ago and that's how I know that 250 will get you into the 50's on a 25' tri-toon.

I suspect the 300 & 350 will have similar top speeds due to the increased weight of the V8. And proper propping is always important. Under the right circumstances I wouldn't be surprised to see mid-high 50's with a 350 Yam on a 25' tri-toon.

That's not even NEAR the pontoon records, but Bennington isn't looking to build speedsters.

Plus, additional speed is difficult as you go faster.

In a car for instance, you're looking at a 1/3 increase in HP to achieve each 10% gain in speed; due to wind resistance. I don't know the equivilant rule-of-thumb for boats.

Back