How fast?

John Schell

Reaction score
Hi, we are looking at a 24 ft slx (2016) with a 150 hp mercury. The speedometer and a GPS speedometer on the smart phone agreed that at full speed it was going 20 MPH. There were four average sized adults on board. Does this seem about right? My internet searches say a 150 should push a pontoon between 30-40 MPH. If that is correct, what might be contributing to the difference? Thank you in advance for helping us out.

I have a 22 ft. with a Yamaha 150hp that tops out with 4 adults at 34 mph. Mine is a tri-toon with the ESP package and is on a a lift when not in use. . Is the pontoon a tri-toon and is it in the water all the time?

I have a 22 ft. with a Yamaha 150hp that tops out with 4 adults at 34 mph. Mine is a tri-toon with the ESP package and is on a a lift when not in use. . Is the pontoon a tri-toon and is it in the water all the time?
Thank you. Yes it is a tritoon and it does sit in the water. What are the implications?

Thank you. Yes it is a tritoon and it does sit in the water. What are the implications?
When the boat sits in the water all the time algae grows on the toons. The algae creates a lot of resistance. I'll give you an recent example, my brother-in-law test drove a 23 ft. Bennington with the SPS package, the boat has a Yamaha 200 hp. It was a 2019 that sat in the water it entire life, the boat would only go 27 mph on the first test ride. After some negotiation he had the marina power wash most of the algae from the toons the top speed increased to 36 mph. He bought the boat and periodical cleans the toons.

Should also mention that the wrong size diameter and pitch of propeller can also contribute to the lower mph.

Last edited:
When the boat sits in the water all the time algae grows on the toons. The algae creates a lot of resistance. I'll give you an recent example, my brother-in-law test drove a 23 ft. Bennington with the SPS package, the boat has a Yamaha 200 hp. It was a 2019 that sat in the water it entire life, the boat would only go 27 mph on the first test ride. After some negotiation he had the marina power wash most of the algae from the toons the top speed increased to 36 mph. He bought the boat and periodical cleans the toons.

Should also mention that the wrong size diameter and pitch of propeller can also contribute to the lower mph.
PK. That is very helpful. If we purchase, we will put it in a lift. So, generally speaking, a good cleaning could make a nice difference?

Clean toons and the right prop, you should be low 30s with that load. I doubt you'll ever see high 30s and wont ever see 40, but you should be in low 30s with the right set up

Would need to know what prop (dia and pitch) and RPM to give you meaningful input. Did you trim up at all? Motor height is also a factor. Should be seeing more then 20mph. I would say say low to mid 30's would be goal...

Hi, we are looking at a 24 ft slx (2016) with a 150 hp mercury. The speedometer and a GPS speedometer on the smart phone agreed that at full speed it was going 20 MPH. There were four average sized adults on board. Does this seem about right? My internet searches say a 150 should push a pontoon between 30-40 MPH. If that is correct, what might be contributing to the difference? Thank you in advance for helping us out.

I have a 21ft tri but its the express performance package, center toon does not go all the way back to the transom so its less buoyant and slower than the SPS or ESP hull. Only the center toon has lifting strakes on mine too.

I'd say both of you need to prop chase. I go 31-32 MPH 4 adults with dirty toons with a 115 yamaha.

Back