How high on lift?

bk12

Reaction score
I'm a new Bennington owner with a 22' LFB with 150 Merc. Question about how high to raise the pontoon on my new Dock-Rite. I'm on a notoriously windy lake in NW Wisc--right now whitecaps and 2-3' ft waves.

The people who installed the lift told me to put it up as high as it would go--"to tuck that pontoon up into the canopy". I questioned that-- thinking "aren't I raising the center of gravity?" and making the lift and pontoon more tippy rather than less. The response was the pontoon when "tucked up there" blocked the wind and resulted in less wind hitting the canopy.

What do you think? Any advice?

In windy weather, I bring my boat to the very top of the lift. By doing so, I shorten the cables, thus reducing sway. When the boat is closer to the water, the sway in the lines is much more apparent.

Ditto your lift installers. When we had our lift & canopy from 2017-19, this was the advice given to us. We followed it. Worked great.

Windy and 3’ whitecaps? No thank you! and I though MY lake was choppy!

We keep our boat high enough on the lift where the skeg is about 6 inches to a foot from the water.

Back