How Hot Was Arizona - enough that my fender clips got hot enough to melt my Simtex!

LaurencetheAdventurer

Reaction score
After a few days of 120+ heat wave temps, we took the boat out and found some of my fender clips had actually melted the Simtex and were stuck together! Luckily the damage to the Simtex was minor, but whooo.... It happened on both sides at the Bow where the clips come in contact with the Simtex. I checked my purchase account, I have both Extreme Max and Taylor Made - not sure if the issue is with only one brand, I will have to re-inspect those clips (which have now all been removed).

Attachments

• 2024-07-12 14.49.13.jpg
    2024-07-12 14.49.13.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 51
Damn ! At least that's 1 thing I don't need to worry about here . lol

Dang. Glad you caught it before it became more significant.

With increasingly consistent extreme heat waves these days, I wonder to what degree material tolerances are being considered in a variety of industries, in particular the boating industry?

I wonder with fabrics, plastics, rubber compounds, metals, glues, etc…. how are some emerging problems due to exposure to summer extreme temperatures that are perhaps beginning to get above safe temp ranges for various items and materials found in our pontoons, boats, jet skis, cars, etc, etc, etc…?

I find our northern climate temperatures a bit much at times. I can’t even handle southern heat these days. Northern’s wintering down south are called snowbirds. Is there an equivalent for southerners that might begin summering up north? If not, I propose “sunbirds”. ;)

I could go along with "sunbirds". I'm in Alabama and the heat is just a part of it. The humidity is what makes it tough at times.

I had the same thing happen in MN with the fender clips. I also had a ski life jacket leaning against the bench that had a decal on the back and melted into the Simtex. Both happened when the dark blue cover was on during a hot stretch. Once melted into the Simtex, nothing could be done. It was not a cheap life jacket. Lesson learned.

Dang. Glad you caught it before it became more significant.

With increasingly consistent extreme heat waves these days, I wonder to what degree material tolerances are being considered in a variety of industries, in particular the boating industry?

I wonder with fabrics, plastics, rubber compounds, metals, glues, etc…. how are some emerging problems due to exposure to summer extreme temperatures that are perhaps beginning to get above safe temp ranges for various items and materials found in our pontoons, boats, jet skis, cars, etc, etc, etc…?

I find our northern climate temperatures a bit much at times. I can’t even handle southern heat these days. Northern’s wintering down south are called snowbirds. Is there an equivalent for southerners that might begin summering up north? If not, I propose “sunbirds”. ;)
Have you heard of the term "Half Backs"?!? People from the north that go down south but find out that they can't handle the heat/humidity so they go Half way back to like the Carolina's etc!

Have you heard of the term "Half Backs"?!? People from the north that go down south but find out that they can't handle the heat/humidity so they go Half way back to like the Carolina's etc!
I have not. Like it, and kind of funny the circumstances. I’d probably become a 3/4 back! Ha, ha!

That said, the Carolina’s are still considered pretty far South by most up here in Michigan, so saying they are “half back” is kind of funny to me. I’d consider say Kentucky half back…and probably concede Tenn if pushed on it. ;)

Once south of the Ohio/Indiana border, we tend to look at us entering the southern US at that point. Kind of an Ohio R dividing line. Makes me curious. How far north does a southerner in the eastern US travel before they consider it “the north”? Love regional and cultural geography!!!

Anything north of Kentucky is definitely considered a northerner, but I would probably say anything north of Tennessee.

I currently am using these flat fenders, our dock is so narrow I can't get anything else in. With the looped rope, I now just wrap around a Bimini connection point - after a bit of adjustment, works great.
Maybe you misunderstood but the EZ fenders are NOT fenders. What I am talking about will replace your "plastic clips" on the rail. Click on the link and you will see pics of them.....

Daril - 100%, these EZ Fenders are one of the best options I have seen.... for most applications. Originally the ad had discouraged me as they show the EZ fender rope that would not allow the fender to be removed. I later realized...duh....use a standard dock/fender line!! However, my dock changes at least once every year and often two or three times, and then during outing the docks we use are all sorts of sizes. Often 2/3 of my benny is hanging past the end of the dock, and if at the end of some docks and shared, the front can be several feet past the end. Now, I could simply install 3 or 4 per side, the cost is not that much and this might still be the best answer. My alternative solution, as I needed something right then, was simply that the fender I am using have two attachment points, resulting in a full length of "looped" rope. When adjusted properly, I can now simply drop the fenders through the loop that is wrapped around a Bimini connection point, offering me 5 different positions to place the fenders (double Bimini). And, these work under or outside the mooring cover. I have also noted that unlike the round fenders I used the first year when I got a wider dock, I have never come back to the Benny to find these have been flow up onto the dock (though again, my most recent docks have all been 8'6" wide....so the deck keeps them down in place). I do think that for most applications, the EZ Fenders are the right choice - especially after this crazy melting of my Simtex!

Daril - 100%, these EZ Fenders are one of the best options I have seen.... for most applications. Originally the ad had discouraged me as they show the EZ fender rope that would not allow the fender to be removed. I later realized...duh....use a standard dock/fender line!! However, my dock changes at least once every year and often two or three times, and then during outing the docks we use are all sorts of sizes. Often 2/3 of my benny is hanging past the end of the dock, and if at the end of some docks and shared, the front can be several feet past the end. Now, I could simply install 3 or 4 per side, the cost is not that much and this might still be the best answer. My alternative solution, as I needed something right then, was simply that the fender I am using have two attachment points, resulting in a full length of "looped" rope. When adjusted properly, I can now simply drop the fenders through the loop that is wrapped around a Bimini connection point, offering me 5 different positions to place the fenders (double Bimini). And, these work under or outside the mooring cover. I have also noted that unlike the round fenders I used the first year when I got a wider dock, I have never come back to the Benny to find these have been flow up onto the dock (though again, my most recent docks have all been 8'6" wide....so the deck keeps them down in place). I do think that for most applications, the EZ Fenders are the right choice - especially after this crazy melting of my Simtex!
Gotcha!!!

Back