How Shallow?

Butchkid

Reaction score
Howdy folks! I have been looking for this information on the internet, but haven't been able to find anything conclusive. I purchased a 2011 2575 QCW I/O, and I was wondering what the draft was on that boat when the engine is lowered and when it is raised. At the boat show I got different stories about whether you could actually beach an I/O.

Hi Butchkid, welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new boat! Hopefully someone with more experience with pontoons will jump in with another opinion, but meanwhile here is mine. Find out for yourself, a few measurments with your lower unit up and down, a string line across your toon at the water line.... That way you know for sure. I hope you are as pleased with your new Bennie as we are, and have fun on the water!

Here is what I found.

The hull only is 16". When the outdrive is tilted all the way down you are looking at 38". With the drive tilted about half way, which you can do at very slow speeds, you are looking at around 24-26".

So based on what you have found, i would think banking the boat in most cases should be fine, given the slope of the average lake shoreline. Just watch out for those flat bottom ones!

Here is what I found.

The hull only is 16". When the outdrive is tilted all the way down you are looking at 38". With the drive tilted about half way, which you can do at very slow speeds, you are looking at around 24-26".

Hi Butch,

Here are Bennington's "generic" draft measurements for an empty boat with engine. (Outboard and I/O are about the same.)

Triple tube hull depth: 14" plus drive

Triple tube draft with drive down: 31"

Since your measurements are more generous, stick with them and you'll be safe!

p.s. Fresh water!

p.s.s. Drafts vary by hull type (two-tube, triple-tube, two-tube elliptical)

Last edited:
Excellent! Thanks for the response. The one concern I have now that the boat has arrived is that the depth is read from the very back of the left toon. So I'm probably in trouble by the time I see the depth on the screen. It sort of lets me know after the fact that I was just in really shallow water. :blink: I guess I need to take it really slow and explore all parts of the lake. That's ok, I need something to do with my new ride anyway. Might as well map out the whole lake.

Back