How to anchor a 2575 RCW

Truthinthedetails

Reaction score
When you anchor do you tie off anchor line to deck cleat and then use boat/engines to set the anchor? Do you do the same to dislodge? Or do you do both by hand? I'm concerned that using the boat can weaken my cleat... or worse pull it off.

First of all, make sure you get the best anchor for your particular lake/river bottom. The lake where I boat has a sandy/muddy bottom, therefore, my box anchor works great. I just slowly drop the anchor and let the boat drift by the wind/tide to set the anchor then I tie it off to one of my cleats. When it's time to anchor up I just pull the rope and float over and above my anchor and pull it up. My box anchor has held my boat and another 25 ft pontoon in choppy water and I've never had a problem with my cleats.

You should not have to use the engine past idle to set the anchor or remove it. Remember you should use at least 5x more rope than the depth for calm water. Conditions may require 7x or more rope than depth.

A cleat should be fine, when ready to leave you may want to idle back to directly over the anchor or slight past it, you should be able to dislodge it easily. Using the engine past idle isn't recomended.

Steve

I have a chene type anchor and a box anchor. I will say the box anchor is the only way to go. Set it and forget it.

Hope this helps.

andy

I have a chene type anchor and a box anchor. I will say the box anchor is the only way to go. Set it and forget it.

Hope this helps.

andy
I haven't purchased an anchor in a number of years, box anchor? looks interesting. Where was it when I needed it in the Gulf of Mexico years ago. ;)

Back