I see why summer is the week of July 4 in Northern MI

PonTuna Salad

Reaction score
Mrs. Salad and I decided to take a “Spring” trip to Michigan. She wanted to go to Holland, MI for the tulip festival because little salad and son-in-law are in the “real” Holland (Netherlands) visiting family and seeing the tulips. After freezing to look at the tulips, we headed north to Traverse City. Nice town, big lake. People were just l starting to get their boats out. Many empty docks, some sitting beside the road. Many still in shrink wrap.

Here it is the middle of spring and it is 40 degrees at 5pm. Why am I standing in line, outside, waiting on ice cream? Because Mrs. Salad wants some and it’s Mother’s Day. You know it’s cold when even the tough guys in their t-shirts have their hands in their pockets as far as they can go and they are not looking for loose change.

Got the Waverunner on the water early April in North Carolina, but it has been cold since. I am sure though that the Big Kahuna has been out several times.

Anyway, you northerners have a great boating season when it gets here and happy Mother’s Day to you moms.

Mrs. Salad and I decided to take a “Spring” trip to Michigan. She wanted to go to Holland, MI for the tulip festival because little salad and son-in-law are in the “real” Holland (Netherlands) visiting family and seeing the tulips. After freezing to look at the tulips, we headed north to Traverse City. Nice town, big lake. People were just l starting to get their boats out. Many empty docks, some sitting beside the road. Many still in shrink wrap.

Here it is the middle of spring and it is 40 degrees at 5pm. Why am I standing in line, outside, waiting on ice cream? Because Mrs. Salad wants some and it’s Mother’s Day. You know it’s cold when even the tough guys in their t-shirts have their hands in their pockets as far as they can go and they are not looking for loose change.

Got the Waverunner on the water early April in North Carolina, but it has been cold since. I am sure though that the Big Kahuna has been out several times.

Anyway, you northerners have a great boating season when it gets here and happy Mother’s Day to you moms.
You certainly got a glimpse into our life up here in the great white north of Michigan. Boating season is short. :(

Viking, thought about you here. Know you just got your boat out. Driving by your lake tomorrow on my way south towards Detroit.

I do like the fact it is after 9pm and it is still light. Middle of June will not be like that in NC. You get to make up with longer days.

Beautiful area but summer is way too short! We spent most of the year waiting around for summer. We didn’t have family winter activities to focus on.

You probably came within 7 miles of me when you passed thru the stoplight in Benzonia on US 31. We are pretty lucky if we can start boating by Memorial Day weekend in these parts. My Benny is still in storage.

You're right Pontuna Salad been out a few times but the water is still too cold to swim. Pic of today hanging out at the Par 3 7th Trump National......IMG_20210509_152606403_HDR.jpg

Mine is coming out of storage a week from today ( 5/17) .
To me you're not Up North until you get to Gaylord . :cool:

Its easy .There are different things to do in every season . Until we moved ( from Petoskey to Indian River ) in the late winter and early spring we made Maple Syrup . The only reason we dont now is that we dont have the Maple trees on this property .

Viking, thought about you here. Know you just got your boat out. Driving by your lake tomorrow on my way south towards Detroit.

I do like the fact it is after 9pm and it is still light. Middle of June will not be like that in NC. You get to make up with longer days.
You are right about the longer days in the summer helping a little bit. Certainly have to have those winter hobbies/activities to fill in the year up here.

Too bad I am downstate and not at our cottage. We are only about 5 minutes off the freeway on Houghton Lake. I would otherwise have enjoyed an opportunity to say “hello” over coffee or lunch with the two of you.

If up there I would also offer up a trip out on the lake, but this time of year is just too cold to enjoy it. Boat might be in, but not sure if we‘ll get to use it anytime before Memorial Day weekend. It‘s more aspirational than useable this time of year. Ha, ha.

Thanks ,Andy . That's the only thing I miss not living in Petoskey . I do not miss the leaves in the fall from over 100 Maple Tree's though .:D
That was damn good syrup too!!!

Last edited:
It's not exactly warm now here in NC. A really cool and windy May so far. Having a hard time getting the garden to grow. Bet we will take cool a while longer as hot as June-August will likely be.

Thank you to the Salad family for visiting Michigan! As you can see, it really is a beautiful state.

It's not exactly warm now here in NC. A really cool and windy May so far. Having a hard time getting the garden to grow. Bet we will take cool a while longer as hot as June-August will likely be.
Windy is right! It has been pretty breezy/windy every time we've gone out. The challenge has been getting in the wider slip but in between the guide posts of the lift we are using for the 1st time this year. The wind seems like it has come from different directions.20210406_132411.jpg If we can get it in now with minimal trouble it'll be a piece of cake during calmer weather.

Mine is coming out of storage a week from today ( 5/17) .
To me you're not Up North until you get to Gaylord . :cool:
I believe I have made it to the north. Crossed off a bucket list item and crossed the Mackinac Bridge and drove to the UP.

Even though the temps are the same today as yesterday, doesn’t seem as cold. I have been walking around without a jacket and I have kept my hands out of my pockets.

I believe I have made it to the north. Crossed off a bucket list item and crossed the Mackinac Bridge and drove to the UP.

Even though the temps are the same today as yesterday, doesn’t seem as cold. I have been walking around without a jacket and I have kept my hands out of my pockets.
In the UP, they call July 15th - 31st "Two bad weeks of ice fishing." ;-)

Thank you to the Salad family for visiting Michigan! As you can see, it really is a beautiful state.
We are having a great time. Some differences we are seeing from NC are bigger lakes. Did I say bigger? Black dirt vs. red clay. Flat as a table for the most part.
Everyone we have talked with have been super nice. Definitely want to come back again. Not sure if we want summer or winter. .
Supposed to be in the low 40s as a low when we get home Wednesday. I should be prepared for it. Maybe a dip in the pool? No, hot tub, I’m not that Michigander yet.

Last edited:
Its easy .There are different things to do in every season . Until we moved ( from Petoskey to Indian River ) in the late winter and early spring we made Maple Syrup . The only reason we dont now is that we dont have the Maple trees on this property .
Went through Petoskey today. Linda discovered that is the home to Kilwins ice cream and chocolate. She always thought it originated in Boone, NC.

Back