Important question; please read and respond (wink wink)

AuthorizedUser

Reaction score
Gang... I'm getting a lot of flak from my family and friends for my opinion/preference... so I thought I would reach out to my brethren (and sisteren?) to see if you agree with the those who mock me mercilessly, or if you think my opinion is valid. I do not want to be a boat captain. Everybody is a captain! I want to be a skipper. I have a long family history with the Navy, and in my experience every naval captain I've ever met is more commonly known as skipper or skip. That is why I prefer that. However, everyone wants to know if my wife is my 'little buddy' or if I played with Barbie's sister, Skipper, when I was young. Hi-larious! I will admit Skipper Dave sounds a bit silly, but no one will call me that. It will be skipper or skip. And, last time I checked, this is still America and I'm not forcing anything on anyone; people can call me barnacle brain if they choose (although I may make them swab the deck if they do). Thoughts? Reflections? Prescriptions? Signed, Skip

My wife is the Admiral and I am the 1st Mate on our boat. No Captains or Skippers onboard. My wife has been boating since she was a little girl so I actually learned from her. I am perfectly content to sit/lay on the many available seats on our boat while she navigates our lake!!! Aaaaaaaahhhh.......

Yeah, I can't help the Gilligan's Island image when I hear that word. "Round these parts" some of the locals call dinner "supper." I always chuckle when I hear that because we fed our dog supper but we ate dinner. It might be because most of the dog food cans back then had the word "supper" all over them but the whole point is once something is stuck in your head, it's stuck in your head!

After reading your article I think you would be a skipper. The skipper is the master of the ship. It’s also the term used for people in smaller vessels so on a pontoon that would be fitting. A captain is in charge of the crew and everything happening on the boat. Tell your family and guests you don’t want that much responsibility when you are enjoying a day on the water. If nothing else, you could make your wife the captain and you could be the skipper. Much more enjoyable just to be in charge of the boat and not everyone on it. :cool:
Good luck!

Yeah, I can't help the Gilligan's Island image when I hear that word. "Round these parts" some of the locals call dinner "supper." I always chuckle when I hear that because we fed our dog supper but we ate dinner. It might be because most of the dog food cans back then had the word "supper" all over them but the whole point is once something is stuck in your head, it's stuck in your head!
Growing up we had"supper". As long as I got to eat....... Now when I ask Diane what's for supper?!? She says..... whatever you're making!

Technically, "skipper" is correct. Anyone that skippers a boat is the one in charge (or placed in charge), regardless of rank.

"Hey, I need another beer, so I'd like you to skipper for a while."
The person in control of the boat is now in charge and responsible for everything that happens with the boat (and those aboard), thus named the skipper, until those duties are relieved or relinquished.

Screenshot_20210115-070034.png

Last edited:
Gang... I'm getting a lot of flak from my family and friends for my opinion/preference... so I thought I would reach out to my brethren (and sisteren?) to see if you agree with the those who mock me mercilessly, or if you think my opinion is valid. I do not want to be a boat captain. Everybody is a captain! I want to be a skipper. I have a long family history with the Navy, and in my experience every naval captain I've ever met is more commonly known as skipper or skip. That is why I prefer that. However, everyone wants to know if my wife is my 'little buddy' or if I played with Barbie's sister, Skipper, when I was young. Hi-larious! I will admit Skipper Dave sounds a bit silly, but no one will call me that. It will be skipper or skip. And, last time I checked, this is still America and I'm not forcing anything on anyone; people can call me barnacle brain if they choose (although I may make them swab the deck if they do). Thoughts? Reflections? Prescriptions? Signed, Skip

That's more like a DEAR ABBY post. Try her forum!

I would call you whatever your heart desired, if I was getting to go for a boat ride. Have you considered having all those that arrive at your dock asking, “Permission To Come Aboard, Sir”?

When we are on the boat my 5 year old granddaughter calls me Captain and says she is my first assistant. Then she looks at her grandma and tells grandma that she is the assistant to the first assistant. Grandma doesn't take that too well. But when we are on land grandma gets all the 5 year old's attention.

Most definitely you have to go with Skipper! If you do not Gilligan, MaryAnn and especially Ginger will be very upset! Just say'n.

Attachments

• IMG_20200812_193658630_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200812_193658630_HDR.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 5
LOL and LOL again! I have LONG and direct experience with both terms, both as the object and initiator. I am a prodigy of some people who actually did operate flying boats for Pan American. There, as elsewhere, the terms can be used interchangeably. However, skipper is usually used as respectful and professional, but a more affable address.

I can understand how assuming the title of "Captain" for a pontoon boat might seem a bit pretentious, but operationally and legally there needs to be one. Using skipper can ease the air of self-importance and invokes fun mental images too.

Although some might take exception, a major milestone has been reached when the captain of the vessel can be affectionately addressed as "Skippy". Ahhhh, the days of "Clipper Skippers"...now that puts me in the way-back machine!

Last edited:
P.S. I should have suggested that you not let your wife see my comment above. For reason unrelated to historical protocol, she may settle on Skippy rather than the desired Skipper or Skip....sorry, my bad...

P.S. I should have suggested that you not let your wife see my comment above. For reason unrelated to historical protocol, she may settle on Skippy rather than the desired Skipper or Skip....sorry, my bad...
Yeah... I thought of that. Just between you and me. :)

Back