In the water all season slow down

jsur

Reaction score
To all that keep their boat in the water full time,

Has anybody else slowed down 10 mph or more during the course of the season. I have cleaned the outside toons several times during the year, but have a hard time with the center one (ESP package). I have a 225 sho which is not a small motor. This loss of speed seems a bit excessive to me. Should I be looking for another problem or is this plausible? Thoughts?

It's pretty well documented on this forum that the dirtier your tubes are...........the slower your speed will be due to the excessive drag from the "growth" on your pontoons. Is there a way you can take your boat out of the water from time to time to give them a good scrubbing/cleaning or......... you'll just have to get under there and clean that center tube when you do the outer ones...........you'll notice a big difference when they are cleaned!

I gained back 3-4  After cleaning 

When my boat first went in the water I could do 27mph, I just tried again this past weekend and 24 was my top speed.  That is with a 115hp, I would expect your numbers to be larger with a 225

I notice about 6 mph decrease when my toons are dirty. Keep it in the water. I have the esp and it is difficult to get to the center tube. I go in 2-3 FEET OF WATER and put a mask and snorkel on and go between the 2 tubes with my head just above water to clean them. Other way I clean them is place it on a twin tube trailer and climb underneath with a power washer to clean them. I wish I could keep it on a hoist.

I am down 10-12 mph which seems ridiculous. However, I will have to pick up a mask and snorkel and give that a try. With the kids heading back to school soon, I am not sure how many more trips I will get in this year though.

By the way, what are you guys using to wipe down the toons? i.e. a towel, a brush, a steel pad?

I use a medium bristle brush.

NO STEEL WOOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!             :angry:

I would say mine is medium bristle

+1 for having a lift!! Can't beat it. Does a green scotch pad scuff up the surface though? Curious to see a before and after with close ups.

+1 for having a lift!! Can't beat it. Does a green scotch pad scuff up the surface though? Curious to see a before and after with close ups.
I don't have pics, but have used a green Scotchbrite pad twice now with no scratching.  It takes a while though -- maybe next time I'll try my medium bristle brush to see how that goes.  It's a pain, but the approx 4 mph speed increase (and fuel efficiency in long range cruising) is nice.  

I use the blue scothbrite pads.  The green ones can scratch pots and pans, the blue ones don't so that is what I use on the toons, the fences and my seadoo

Back