Indian Lake Ohio and other Ohio boaters

Willb

Reaction score
Figured the Midwest thread needed a spot for us to talk too. Can't let our friends to the N have all the fun.

Me:

Heading to Spend a Day Marina to pick up my girl today and take her to our dock.

My wife gave me surprise birthday present and had them do a wash, wax, and detail on her. Can't wait to see.

Also, had the Garmin 431S installed that I have had sitting here for a year. Looking forward to the bigger screen as my son wants to fish for walleye more this year. So hopefully it's better than the cheap echo.

I love the fact that Spend a Day is on the lake. Pull the boat, maintain at year end, and drop her back in the summer.

I would still love to find a fellow Bennington owner willing to lease their trailer once or twice. Want to go down to lake Cumberland and houseboat but can't see wasting money on buying a trailer to just sit 51 weeks a year.

Interested to see how much floatsom and debri are in the lake right now. Last spring, I marked to 20 foot dock pilings with buoys floating in the bay and channel on the drive back to our camp.

If my 25' trailer wasn't a piece of crap, I would loan it to you so you could visit us in Cumberland.

We finally got the boat out for her first run of the year today as well. Moundwood channel has the usual tree debris (logs mainly) that floats in from the river.

There is a rather large log by fox island.....more towards the moundwood side though.....that was all we've seen so far. Had to be the entertainment at Micky D's docks.....wow I'm rusty at docking.

Lake Debri was awful so be careful. I pulled 10 foot sections of 2x8 decking that floated into my docks. I ripped off a bumper in a emergency moment coming up our channel at Turkey Foot as a 4 x 8 sheet of wood with shingles still attached shot up out the shallows right in front of me.

Blood pressure was high.

Local news said no wake at buckeye lake. Only caught part of the radio broadcast.

Where is all of this garbage coming from? This is crazy to hear.

Higher than normal rain and snow washing trees off shore. Pretty Bad wind storms also. Found a garbage can lid from Newlands in my cove which is on the other side of the island.

I'm assuming wind blew the top of somebody's shed or dock off.

Deer creek is plagued with logs floating all over to. I did not see any other type of trash though. I was letting my wire drive for awhile and she hit a log that was floating right under the surface. Luckily it didn't hurt anything .

Will we must have gotten lucky as we came down your channel saturday afternoon and didn't see anything......maybe someone had removed it by then.  There was quite a few small pieces of wood (3-4 footers) floating around in our channel and by the moundwood ramp when we came out.  They have the dredge back in place at moundwood already.....where they ran last year was showing 9-10 foot of water and the fish/depth finder and right after that spot we were back in a little over 3 foot of water.

Biggest share of debris came in from the winter storms breaking off some dead trees along the river that feeds into the lake and shoreline all around the lake.  I think there is aprox. 29 miles of shoreline around our lake so that is plenty of tree's and other debris blowing off shore and into the lake.

We did manage to put a few hours on the old girl saturday before the weather turned a bit nasty sunday afternoon.

I hope they get those dredges in gear this year and get more done.

Spend a day was pulling a toon with a nice big hole in the front inner log when we drove by late. Lots of water pouring out.

Nice thing about alum. Weld a patch and away you go.

We took the boat out yesterday and came aross a nice 8' 4x4 floating around in the lake by fox island. It still had the stickers on the end from the lumberyard. Luckily we didn't hit it but did pull it out of the lake before someone did hit it.

The island between orchard island bridge and McDonald's seems to have quite a few of the dead trees down all along the waters edge. Not sure if they were cut down or they just fell down during the winter/spring storms.......think I counted 12 or 13 down. Should make for and interesting year if all of them start floating off the island and out in the lake.

Be safe out there as it seems that there is a LOT of trash this year for some odd reason.

I'm not going to be an Indian Lake or Ohio boater but I bought a boat from Spend-a-Day and will be picking it up in the first couple of days in June if anyone wants to meet.  I'm going to do a quick test drive and then take it to my lake.  I asked the store where I should spend the night (450 mile drive home after a 450 mile drive there . . . can't do it) and they said the nearest hotel was 30 miles away.  Is that true?  Suggestions?

Hotel yes, motel no. Also, there are many rentals on the lake. Just google Indian Lake, or town of lakeview.

There is Motel 8 in Bellefontaine which is a straight drive down 33 about 15 minutes from SPendaday

Looks like we will be making it down to the lake tomorrow night (thursday) and then coming home early on saturday evening (fiance has to work saturday night) a real buzzkill for the long weekend.  Ahh the pains of being an RN and having to deal with vacations and people calling off when they are scheduled.

Will I thought about taking offense to the idiot boat watcher statement for a second....my docking skillz HAVE improved a bit since spring :D   :D .  I know what you mean by idiots at the boat ramp and general boating on a holiday weekend at our lake.....can be a real circus.  We almost got backed into a couple weeks ago at moundwood by an idiot on a pontoon that wasn't paying any attention for traffic and just backed away from the docks right out in front of us....one of those gopro moments I missed on camera.

When we were launching ours a local marina was at the ramp pulling a toon out for yamaha warranty issues. The guy from the marina looked like he had never been around a boat or trailer in his life. When I pulled it he had the toon so far forward on the scissor trailer the motor pod was on a cross member causing the boat to ride A$$ high and not on the deck. It was so bad the driver was about to leave and started dragging the fronts of the toons on the gravel! We and the boat owner were yelling at him to stop. He then backs up to float the boat back and the boat shifts on the motor pod and starts to slide off the trailer nearly rolling over on the dock itself. At this point the owner’s wife uses Kristina's phone to call the marina while I am helping the guy and the marina idiot. keep the boat from getting wrecked. At this point I had already jumped in the truck and moved my boat up away from the launch. Eventually the marina guy was able to back the trailer up with much guidance and the pontoon was finally on the deck. Initial damages were scratched up toons and gouged skirting. It would have made for a great video. The owners were so pissed they were driving up to the marina in town and we gave them our information in case the dealer wanted to call us or if they didn't correct the damage we would serve as witnesses. There is more I could tell but it was a gotta be there moment. The good news is we met another nice couple on our lake and will be following up with them when we see them out to see how everything turns out.

Spend-A-Day Marina

41 mins ·

Anyone who has their boats on a dock...hoisted or sitting in the water...please make sure your boats are tied up and bimini tops down to accomodate the rising water.

Shauna Hindman-Berisford

Like · Comment ·

Josh McCune likes this.

Share your thoughts and comment on this post.

Saturday ended up being very nice. This monsoon weather in Ohio has been ridiculous.

Got stopped by the dnr patrol boat when I was drifting while tying up the tow ropes.

Knew it before he asked: I forgot to slap the new registration sticker on the port side. My dock is on the starboard. Weathers been crap and I hadn't made it to the sand bar yet.

He was very nice- had us do the safety check then gave the kids ice cream coupons for having on their life jackets.

Anybody planning on coming to the wooden keels and vintage wheels show at indian lake this weekend?  It'll be at Russells Point harbor docks (by the donut shop and taco bell) and some more boats on trailers all down the street.   I'll be there working at the USFBA booth (or skipping out for a while to take a few pics of the boats) over by taco bell come on by and say hi.

http://www.indianlakechamber.org/wooden_keels

More info about the Indian Lake USFBA can be found here -------->  http://www.usfreshwaterboatersalliance.com/indian-lake.html

Scheduled for Sept 27 to drop off the boat for service and winter storage. Hope to get one more nice day on it before.

Taking the Boy Scouts to Kellys on Oct 2nd then off to Florida for some RR on the 10th

Back