Interstate cranking batteries....

BigKahuna

Reaction score
I've already talked to a couple of local forum members about this subject. I have the 2 battery set up on our boat and I religiously maintain them in the off season. I usually just keep the onboard battery plugged in all winter but now that we're keeping it in dry storage they don't allow the charging or maintaining of batteries in the storage area amongst other boats. So once a month this past winter I had them take the boat out and put it at the wash rack and I would plug it in for a good 24 hours then they would put it back the next morning. (Yes, I was too lazy to take the batteries out and bring them home this winter) So this was the next best thing. Anyway, I'm coming up on the 4th season on these batteries. They say the average lifespan of a marine battery is 3 to 5 years. Just had the battery die in my wife's Cadillac and also in my lawn tractor. Both purchased in 2019! How long have your batteries lasted in your boats?!? The interstate cranking battery in my old Bennington I/O lasted 10 seasons...... Even though I have 2 batteries I still carry a lithium jump pack out of habit.....

I had the original batteries in my 2014 when I sold it in 2020. Not sure of the brand my dealer used at the time .

I got six years out of my Optimum(?) batteries before replacing. I put one of them in our fishing boat and it’s still going strong. In general, I’d guess that I typically get about six years on my boat batteries.

Depends on how the batteries are used and cared for. Deep cycle lead acid batts that are discharged below a certain % (IIRC 60%) start losing their capacity much, much quicker than those kept/maintained above those levels. I think also the longer they are kept in a discharged state starts killing them quicker as well. Lastly # charge and discharge cycles also take life out of them. I've been able to get 5+ years out of my lead batts but I'm also pretty anal about maintenance. Some of my other buddies might only get 2-3 in part because they abuse them.

I believe one of the biggest benefits of lithiums are less maintenance and ability to withstand harsher use and storage conditions.

Depends on how the batteries are used and cared for. Deep cycle lead acid batts that are discharged below a certain % (IIRC 60%) start losing their capacity much, much quicker than those kept/maintained above those levels. I think also the longer they are kept in a discharged state starts killing them quicker as well. Lastly # charge and discharge cycles also take life out of them. I've been able to get 5+ years out of my lead batts but I'm also pretty anal about maintenance. Some of my other buddies might only get 2-3 in part because they abuse them.

I believe one of the biggest benefits of lithiums are less maintenance and ability to withstand harsher use and storage conditions.
We'll see how they perform this year.....

I got 4 full summers out of my original batteries on our 2017. Then they went side ways that 5th year combined with my electrical system melt down that left my boat out of commission for 11.3 months. Mine our unhooked in the off seasons, with the boat stored indoors at our dealership during the cold Michigan winter.

Sadly, I don’t take good care of them beyond them sitting unhooked on the boat all winter. I could do better. I should do better. Ummm, I am not really actually going to do better. My replacement batteries in 2022 are supposed to be a little better. If I can get 5-6 this time, I’d be pleased. If I only get 4 years again, I’ll know its lack of proper off season care…

I got 4 full summers out of my original batteries on our 2017. Then they went side ways that 5th year combined with my electrical system melt down that left my boat out of commission for 11.3 months. Mine our unhooked in the off seasons, with the boat stored indoors at our dealership during the cold Michigan winter.

Sadly, I don’t take good care of them beyond them sitting unhooked on the boat all winter. I could do better. I should do better. Ummm, I am not really actually going to do better. My replacement batteries in 2022 are supposed to be a little better. If I can get 5-6 this time, I’d be pleased. If I only get 4 years again, I’ll know its lack of proper off season care…
Are they able to charge them at the dealership over the winter?

Im not aware of Jeff's winter storage ,the dealer charges mine when doing spring prep .

Dealer supplied batteries, not a major brand and I'm going into my 6th season with them. I take them out at the end of the season (October) bring them home, place them on a battery tender, then put them back on the boat in June. So far so good.

Gas golf car starter battery was install in 2019. Has been on a maintainer every winter. Dead as a door nail on 2nd day this spring.

Are they able to charge them at the dealership over the winter?
Not during the winter. Their indoor storage is packed away, and not accessible due to volume of boats. They stack it all up tight apparently.

They charge the batteries as part of spring prep before dropping it in the water for me each May. Otherwise, they simply disconnect terminals for winter storage and they sit from early Oct to mid to late May.

Gas golf car starter battery was install in 2019. Has been on a maintainer every winter. Dead as a door nail on 2nd day this spring.
Yup same with my 2019 tractor battery. I thought they would last more than 4 years!

I've got a garden and a lawn tractor . Neither lasted more than 3 years. I believe that is the fault of where I bought them . No batteries were installed while on display, when sold they just grab one .

I've already talked to a couple of local forum members about this subject. I have the 2 battery set up on our boat and I religiously maintain them in the off season. I usually just keep the onboard battery plugged in all winter but now that we're keeping it in dry storage they don't allow the charging or maintaining of batteries in the storage area amongst other boats. So once a month this past winter I had them take the boat out and put it at the wash rack and I would plug it in for a good 24 hours then they would put it back the next morning. (Yes, I was too lazy to take the batteries out and bring them home this winter) So this was the next best thing. Anyway, I'm coming up on the 4th season on these batteries. They say the average lifespan of a marine battery is 3 to 5 years. Just had the battery die in my wife's Cadillac and also in my lawn tractor. Both purchased in 2019! How long have your batteries lasted in your boats?!? The interstate cranking battery in my old Bennington I/O lasted 10 seasons...... Even though I have 2 batteries I still carry a lithium jump pack out of habit.....
I am interstate all the way! I got seven years out of my bass boats cranking and trolling motor batteries. Even though they still showed good I swapped them out this year. I use interstate in the Bennington as well.

Also, I don’t buy them at a big box store. I go to the interstate store. Ask them about a discount and they will give you 10 to 15% off. It will be right in line with the big box stores price.

Also, I don’t buy them at a big box store. I go to the interstate store. Ask them about a discount and they will give you 10 to 15% off. It will be right in line with the big box stores price.
Interstate store ? What's that ?

Is anyone using absorbed glass mat (AGM) batteries? Mercury says this is a requirement for their V6 Verados and V8s, not sure about other engines. My dealer did not install an AGM battery on my 2020 Mercury 250 PRO XS. It has lasted 3 seasons and I would not be surprised if it needs replaced during this season. My battery is kept in a heated barn that stays above 40 degrees in the winter.

Is anyone using absorbed glass mat (AGM) batteries? Mercury says this is a requirement for their V6 Verados and V8s, not sure about other engines. My dealer did not install an AGM battery on my 2020 Mercury 250 PRO XS. It has lasted 3 seasons and I would not be surprised if it needs replaced during this season. My battery is kept in a heated barn that stays above 40 degrees in the winter.
Yes. The Mercury Verado Pro (v6) recommended battery was this one in 2021/22: The Deka Intimidator AGM Marine/RV.

As such, it is what I ended up going with when we had to replace my original batteries. I have one full season on them, so we’ll see how they last. For the life of me I cannot remember what came with my boat & motor originally in 2017. It was an AGM battery as well, but I am not sure it was these Deka Intimidators.

IMG_9613.jpeg

Back