Just bought our first boat!!!

Illibuck

Reaction score
We could not be more excited! Bought a 23RCW at the boat show. Unfortunately, the local dealer told me he will refuse me service because I didn’t buy from him. I asked if he was stating that he gives preferred service to boats he sold or was he saying , “Don’t call me”.? He confirmed the latter. I found another dealer who will be less convenient but welcomes my business. Is the first dealer’s reaction common in the boating world?

Can’t wait for spring!!!!

First - Congratulations! Very exciting. Looking forward to pictures when you have them. I’ve always been told that giving preferred service to boats/owners that purchase through the dealer is common. Makes total sense. However, I cannot say I’ve heard a basic refusal to service because you bought the boat elsewhere. That seems short sighted and petty. I would think its better to make some $ on servicing a boat than to make none. Maybe others have heard of this approach by some dealers...?

I understand preferred service to your retail customers. I find his policy odd. Basically if I desired the honor of his service, then I should have passed on the several thousands I saved at the show.

With that dealer's attitude, don't know if I would trust him working on my boat? Anyway, congrats on the new boat!! As always, please send details and pictures!

Congratulation on your new Bennington. What size motor did you equip your 23RCW with?

PICS PICS PICS!!!! :D
I’d say a dealer with that attitude wouldn’t get my service anyhow. Not first priority, I understand, outright refusal.... well I won’t type the word I’m thinking of ..... :mad:

150 Merc

I think I would drop a note to BM let them know of this dealer's attitude, he is a rep for their product. Congrats and welcome.

Sounds like you made the right call and not buying from the local guy. The arrogance some of these dealers exhibit is mind blowing. There was a huge dealer where we used to live and I steered numerous people away from them who bought elsewhere. Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the forum!

Congratulations and welcome to the Bennington family. You are going to have a great summer! If you are not an experienced boater I highly recommend a boater safety course. This forum is a great place for you to ask questions. Friendly folks willing to help. Btw in my opinion that dealers attitude is not typical. Priory service yes, but refusing service definitely no. Not a great business model.

Congratulations and welcome to the Bennington family. You are going to have a great summer! If you are not an experienced boater I highly recommend a boater safety course. This forum is a great place for you to ask questions. Friendly folks willing to help. Btw in my opinion that dealers attitude is not typical. Priory service yes, but refusing service definitely no. Not a great business model.

Thanks Mike, my wife and I have both been around boats quite a bit, but this will be my first experience as the full time captain . We're both going to take coast guard classes before the season starts to ensure we're up to speed. I don't want to read anything on this forum griping about my piloting skills!

I did not get into boating until my mid 50's. When it came to docking I was nervous. I outfitted my dock so that it was scratch and rub proof as possible and then I would go out at sunrise when no one was around and practice pulling in and out, different angles and frontwards and backwards until I was very sure of my ability

Congratulations on your new Boat and Welcome To The Bennington Family
Dealers reflect society unfortunately
There are Good and Bad Everywhere
Here's wishing you a summer filled with laughter, good times and unforgettable memories.
Taking the Coast Guard Classes are becoming more common than days of old
In our community it is required by all who are born after a specific date
Hope to see some pics in the near future
Looking forward to an early Boating Season :)
116233875.jpg

Melt Down This Weekend
Summer Is Near (lol)

123640605.jpg

Last edited:
Yup Bennington should know about this particular dealer.

Can they legally refuse warranty work???

Yup Bennington should know about this particular dealer.

Can they legally refuse warranty work???
I called and spoke with Bennington, they said they could not 'make them' provide service. Obviously, they were disappointed a customer received such a response. More to the conversation, but that's the jist. Even if they could, I would not go there for even warranty work. Our interest in not doing business instantly became mutual.

Agree. It's not worth doing business with them at all!

I live where the “worlds biggest Bennington” dealer is. Despite this, I did look at other Bennington dealers and fortunately they could not make it worth my while so I bought local (and got a really good deal on one I built to order before the price increase happened in December). With that said, I think that unless a dealer further away gives you a great deal and is willing to bring the boat back and forth for service, I would stay local. Easy for me to say, right?

I did run into an issue trying to buy a left over down south last fall. I called a dealer in North Carolina who would not sell me an in-stock Bennington because I lived in Minnesota. I found that to be weird. From what you tell me, perhaps I am lucky. Hard to go back and forth from Minnesota to North Carolina for service!!

So now I am waiting for my brand new 23’ RCW Smokey granite blackout Tritoon, Platinum monotone interior, 250 Verado, with the Roswell stereo upgrade, and the power Bimini top (so I dont have to get out of my new diamond stitch luxury recliner - new upgrade as of November) to be unwrapped. Unfortunately I am in Minnesota so it will be in shrink wrap for a few more months but that didn’t stop me from getting a spy photo and a wiff of the new boat!

Now I just need to bolt on my Lilly Pad diving board for the kids.

BD290961-EC31-4A54-B458-E9CEF17676FE.jpeg

By the way, went to many boat shows over the past 3 years and also demo’d several other brands. I honestly believe nobody has the fit and finish down as well as Bennington has. Then you add the 10 year warranty and my choice became pretty easy.

Congratulations on the boat order. Sounds like a beauty Kurt. Looking forward to a full spread of phots once spring comes around and you have it out in the sunshine and water.

IF we were on a deep water lake, I would put a Lillypad diving board on ours too. Those look so neat. Hoping you report back or post some videos of it in use next year. As it is, we are on a very shallow inland lake, so no way to use it safely with reliability.

With that said, I think that unless a dealer further away gives you a great deal and is willing to bring the boat back and forth for service, I would stay local. Easy for me to say, right?

My intention was to buy local, but saved $6k at the boat show. Couldn't pass it up.

Last edited:
Back