Keeping My Engine Trimmed Down While Docked

ErinnDan

Reaction score
I have been reading that most people trim their engines up out of the water while not in use.

I had previously been told it was better to keep the engine in the water while docked. Looking around our marina, it seems about a 50/50 split for engines in or trimmed up.

Was I misinformed? What are the pro's and con's for both, trimming it up or leaving it down. Thanks.

Cons: algae/growth on lower unit, algae growth on/in the water intakes .....

Pro's: harder to steal your prop.... or get smacked by passing boat ...  :blink:

2013 I kept mine up .22 ft trimmed up was within the confines of the slip .

2014  almost 27 ft loa ,kept up at first until port side toon was hit in the slip last June .

Then  I kept it trimmed down ,and I did notice  algae growth .

2015 Its down .

There are prop locks available if you are concerned about prop theft 

http://www.amazon.com/McGard-74039-Marine-Propeller-Thread/dp/B0000AYEWJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432216767&sr=8-1&keywords=prop+locks+for+boats

41iqqLYuhjL.jpg

Cons: algae/growth on lower unit, algae growth on/in the water intakes .....

Pro's: harder to steal your prop.... or get smacked by passing boat ...  :blink:
Harder to steal the prop......can't they just reach over and hit the trim switch mounted on the motor to get it out of the water?....... :ph34r:

I vote prop lock for warding off that threat. As for collision, that will happen regardless as idiots don't discriminate based on the angle of your outboard. Women on the other hand...

Just a mention for Verado owners ONLY, courtesy of Glen at VeradoClub.com in the owner's tips.

"Another thing to watch is if you store your engines in the tilted up position, give

them a couple minutes to settle down when you tilt them down to start. We have 2

instances where people who stored them up were immediately starting when tilting down

and oil got past the breather and into the supercharger and it went bye-bye. The SC’s

have an oil passage drain that works well if you wait a minute or two before starting. It’s

probably also a good thing not to have the motors at the maximum fill point or overfilled

as this exacerbates the situation. If you get blue smoke, shut them off immediately and

wait a few minutes."

Here is a little more about overfilling the oil:

"A Verado that is tilted during storage CAN burn about a quart for every 200 gallons of

gas run thru it, but make sure you are checking the right way. I personally find they burn

no oil if you don’t tilt them. Tilt only as much as you need. There is only about 12 oz diff

between the bottom of the oil stick range and the top. Very easy to overfill and

potential problems if you do. Make sure you’re tilting them up for a minute and then

back down before taking the oil reading. In fact do it twice. There is an extra quart that

stays hidden unless you do. Here’s the reason why you tilt to check or change

oil.....There is an area aft of the oil sump in the adaptor plate under the powerhead the

looks like a "tray" where a quart or so of oil collects, when the engine is tilted up it drains

that "tray" into the oil sump. They must be off for an hour before checking. Very easy to

think you’re low and mistakenly add more. Do not let a dealer tell you otherwise how to

check cold. Tilting and overfilling is a path to potential damage – Keep the oil level at

25% of the hash marks on the stick. To give you some idea of how fast it can overfill,

if you are at the bottom hash mark and want to get to the middle of the hash marks, it’s

about 250 ml (1/4 liter). Always check after getting serviced,many dealers overfill."

I leave mine up because the Bravo 3 on my last boat took a beating after several seasons of being submerged. I also follow the above routine on my Verado (I read about it on the Verado forum). When I get to the boat I trim the motor down, then load the boat and get everything ready to go. I don't start the motor till I am done to give the oil a chance to drain down.

Harder to steal the prop......can't they just reach over and hit the trim switch mounted on the motor to get it out of the water?....... :ph34r:

I vote prop lock for warding off that threat. As for collision, that will happen regardless as idiots don't discriminate based on the angle of your outboard. Women on the other hand...

I guess they could unless you have a master cut off.....  ;)

Back