Keeping the bow door open...and doing it cleanly.

WaveRunner

Reaction score
On hot days, we like to run with the bow door open.  It lets the breezed come through and it also gives me a little better visibility directly out in front of me, especially when docking or trailering the boat.  Since it's just the two of us about 90% of the time and there are no little ones in the boat, safety isn't an issue at those times.

I must have thought of a dozen different ways to keep that door open, and doing it in a way that presented a clean image.  We certainly didn't like the idea of drilling a hole in the floor and mounting one of those plastic door stops to the side of that tight bow walkway, and I just didn't see any types hooks that I really liked.  Then I got the idea to use magnets to do the work for me, and I got them here, for $8 delivered:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DYL12WQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Two small holes later, and there you have it, and they work great.  We put almost 30 miles on the boat yesterday, and the magnets held the whole time, and yet it's very easy to pull them free from each other.  I used a stainless acorn nut on the outside of the door for appearance sake, and you hardly notice it...door open or closed.  These magnets claim to have a 37 pound pull strength, and I'm glad I didn't get anything more powerful than that!

412725619.jpg
412725616.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea. Me personally though would have used sticky tape like a 3M strip to attach the magnet. I was even thinking about installing one of the door stops on my snap in carpet.

You didn't want to put a small screw through the wooden floor but you didn't mind putting a larger bolt through your gate? hmmmmm

Now, someone can walk too close to that door and take some meat off of their leg with that raw threaded bolt sticking out.

I'll stick with my little plastic door stop. Thanks for the idea, though.

You didn't want to put a small screw through the wooden floor but you didn't mind putting a larger bolt through your gate? hmmmmm

Now, someone can walk too close to that door and take some meat off of their leg with that raw threaded bolt sticking out.

I'll stick with my little plastic door stop. Thanks for the idea, though.

Really?  You must not have read the post or looked at the pictures.  Thats an ACORN nut on the end of the bolt, and it only sticks out about 3/8" and is smooth.  And the bolt is a #8, so what did you mean by saying it's a larger bolt?  Larger than what?  Larger than the big plastic toe stubber on the floor of the boat?  It wasn't the sized of the screw that mattered to me on holding the plastic door stop, it was just the stop itself.

To each his own, Spoiled.  You won't see me putting your ideas down, though.  

Great idea. Me personally though would have used sticky tape like a 3M strip to attach the magnet. I was even thinking about installing one of the door stops on my snap in carpet.

Theres a 37 pound pull strength on the magnets.  I thought about sticky tape, but doubted it would stand up to repeated pulls from closing the door over and over.  The only bolt that shows is on the door itself, and it's pretty unobtrusive.

Nice idea. Thanks for sharing.

Nice. I was going to install a male snap on my door and one on my kick base and make a snap strap, but I like your setup. I might try your setup with some dbl. sided tape on the door magnet. 

Nice. I was going to install a male snap on my door and one on my kick base and make a snap strap, but I like your setup. I might try your setup with some dbl. sided tape on the door magnet. 

Give it a go!  You never know what will work, but if it works for you, that's what really matters!  I just thought it was an inexpensive and effective means of keeping the door open.  

If you look closely at the magnet on the door, that backside of the door is not a flush fit with the magnet, as there is a step in teh aluminum.  I took a galvanized washer and snipped off 1/2 of it and used it for a shim to make the magnet flush against the one on the bunk.  You have to look very close to see the washer, but it still looks clean.

I think it is a pretty clean look

Really?  You must not have read the post or looked at the pictures.  Thats an ACORN nut on the end of the bolt, and it only sticks out about 3/8" and is smooth.  And the bolt is a #8, so what did you mean by saying it's a larger bolt?  Larger than what?  Larger than the big plastic toe stubber on the floor of the boat?  It wasn't the sized of the screw that mattered to me on holding the plastic door stop, it was just the stop itself.

To each his own, Spoiled.  You won't see me putting your ideas down, though.  

Wow! Don't get your panties in a wad, there WR. If you put your ideas out here, don't expect everyone to run out and buy what you posted. I simply put my opinion on your idea. Not everyone likes my ideas, either, but I'm not going to try to slap them down if they post what works better for them. Take some deep breaths. You'll feel better. 

What I meant by bigger is that the bolt is larger than the thin, long screw that holds my plastic door stop to the deck. I couldn't tell from the pic, that it was rounded and not threatening to someone's leg. It, too, almost sticks out as far as my stock door stop does. I really don't care if you weld a 10" hook to the frame to hold your door open. It's your boat. Most of us are here to enjoy the cyber fellowship from each other involved in a common interest. I really believe your response was a little uncalled for, but maybe you're just having a bad day. Take care.  Cheers!

Ok, time to lighten things up a little. I'm going to install one of these big ol honkers on my door .......  :D

images

I'm going to hire a butler to get the gate for me when I need to pass thru it.

I do commend WaveRunners for finding a solution to his problem. Some modifications are not a one size fits all and this was just meant to give ideas. Frankly I had not considered a magnet to hold a gate open but I think it is genius. Just for me I don't like drilling into rails so I would modify the design to "fit" my needs.

It takes two to tango spoiled so take some deep breaths too. The back and forth does nothing but add tension and zero value.  

Might as well be safe about it!

door%20propped_zpsisbiycan.jpg

You are correct, Lakeliving!

You can all kiss it! I'm going with this to keep my gate from slamming shut. :D

Z2HGKyfo5oy.JPG

On hot days, we like to run with the bow door open.  It lets the breezed come through and it also gives me a little better visibility directly out in front of me, especially when docking or trailering the boat.  Since it's just the two of us about 90% of the time and there are no little ones in the boat, safety isn't an issue at those times.

I must have thought of a dozen different ways to keep that door open, and doing it in a way that presented a clean image.  We certainly didn't like the idea of drilling a hole in the floor and mounting one of those plastic door stops to the side of that tight bow walkway, and I just didn't see any types hooks that I really liked.  Then I got the idea to use magnets to do the work for me, and I got them here, for $8 delivered:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DYL12WQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Two small holes later, and there you have it, and they work great.  We put almost 30 miles on the boat yesterday, and the magnets held the whole time, and yet it's very easy to pull them free from each other.  I used a stainless acorn nut on the outside of the door for appearance sake, and you hardly notice it...door open or closed.  These magnets claim to have a 37 pound pull strength, and I'm glad I didn't get anything more powerful than that!

After years of trying different methods, our local hockey area with 20 dressing rooms and their associated doors, finally found a miraculously simple way to hold the doors open.  A flip up magnet anchored to the wall.  Good for you WR, you found a remedy that took our town engineers years to figure out! Nice  slick install with acorn nut and all.  Going to give it a whirl.

Magnets are a great solution!   I might suggest instead of the 2nd magnet attached through the door, just using a small metal plate or ss washer glued or screwed to the door thus avoiding the hole all the way through. Either way, a cool fix.  I have a half door on the bow but may use the magnet idea on the side doors.   How about double magnets on the folding stern ladder instead of the wrap and snap I use now?...    hmmm 

I think this idea is great and gives a very clean look!  I am going to pass the idea along to my husband as he has been using his flip flop to keep ours open when we are stopped.  Good work Waverunner!  I also never thought about keeping the door open for more air, but it might be nice.  It is also just 2 of us most of the times, so safety is not really a concern.

I've always just set a portable cup holder down there once stopped. All gates get closed underway having a dog and baby on board.

Could use a sheet metal screw instead of a bolt so it doesn't go all the way through. Or barrel screw and barrel nut for flush fit if you already drilled all the way through.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01439N8L6/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1471002584&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=barrel+nut&dpPl=1&dpID=41NVAT946GL&ref=plSrch

See the third pic in the Amazon link for a close up photo.  I'd replace what you have on your magnets with these. 

The magnet is a really great idea. I might use that in my helm door. The latch slips all the time.

Back