Killed By An Anchor

Alicedream

Reaction score
Man talk about bad luck! Think about it. Depending on how deep the water was that anchor had to spring up from the bottom through the water, fly through the air and hit the operator direct. Damn!

So many crazy thing happen at the Ozarks.

Went on a family vacation to Table Rock Lake a couple months ago...it was nice that it was so dead while all the vacationers stayed north at LOTO. So many stories about the goings-ons up at LOTO that the TRL locals were hearing and talking about while we were there...

I think we're going to move to the Branson area when it's time to retire in many, many years.

Always sad to hear about accidents like this - more of a freak occurrence than the run of the mill tourist boating idiocy.

Went on a family vacation to Table Rock Lake a couple months ago...it was nice that it was so dead while all the vacationers stayed north at LOTO. So many stories about the goings-ons up at LOTO that the TRL locals were hearing and talking about while we were there...

I think we're going to move to the Branson area when it's time to retire in many, many years.

Always sad to hear about accidents like this - more of a freak occurrence than the run of the mill tourist boating idiocy.
Completely agree

Our typical day on the lake is to meet up with close friends and raft up and enjoy life. There are normally between 5 and 10 boats in the tie-up. We are usually the only pontoon in the crowd and are almost never one of the early birds to join the party. So we don't often have to set our anchor. A couple of years ago in a tie up, we did deploy the anchor from the bow and when it was time to go, I totally forgot about it! Everyone untied as we said our good-byes. I started the motor and idled out of the cove until I left the no wake zone. Evidently the anchor released from the lake bottom without me feeling anything. Just a couple of seconds after I accelerated we all heard a very loud "Bang" from the rear and I immediately shut the motor down. Went back to investigate what we had hit in open water and found the anchor line wrapped around the prop with the anchor hanging close by. Took a few minutes to untangle the mess, but thankfully we didn't do any damage to the motor or anchor.

Last edited:
Our typical day on the lake is to meet up with close friends and raft up and enjoy life. There are normally between 5 and 10 boats in the tie-up. We are usually the only pontoon in the crowd and are almost never one of the early birds to join the party. So we don't often have to set our anchor. A couple of years ago in a tie up, we did deploy the anchor from the bow and when it was time to go, I totally forgot about it! Everyone untied as we said our good-byes. I started the motor and idled out of the cove until I left the no wake zone. Evidently the anchor released from the lake bottom without me feeling anything. Just a couple of seconds after I accelerated we all heard a very loud "Bang" from the rear and I immediately shut the motor down. Went back to investigate what we had hit in open water and found the anchor line wrapped around the prop with the anchor hanging close by. Took a few minutes to untangle the mess, but thankfully we didn't do any damage to the motor or anchor.
Wow...That could have been really bad.

Ok for those that don’t believe it can happen to them. Anchor set and wonderful time floating around. Time to go, We left the cove with a knee boarder in tow for a normal ride home. I had my baby grand daughter who happens to be an an outstanding athlete on a knee board riding behind the boat. I noticed a strange wave behind us as we rode along. It than dawned on me that I had failed. I immediately cut power and realized that I had nearly ended my beautiful granddaughters life. I have nightmares to this day. I had forgotten the anchor. I’m the Captain of my watercraft as I’m the Captain of my Airplane. Please be careful to follow you’re checklists. I failed to do this and implore all of my fellow Captains to endeavor to be better for safety sakes. It is so easy to forget basic things.

Back